Poll: Trade Russ for draft picks?

Trade Russ to the Browns for the 1st/4th picks and Browns 1st round pick next year

• Absolutely

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 189 74.1%
  • I'd think about it

Votes: 44 17.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
DomeHawk":ia8mi0i9 said:
w/o question, the dumbest poll in the history of .net

At least 27% of people disagree with you

j hawk

Reaction score
/I would do it for Cleveland's 1,4,33 and 1,2 next year. Take your best QB, a blue chip player and rebuild the team in a short time.

TreeRon

Reaction score
seabowl":3lor34c7 said:
DomeHawk":3lor34c7 said:
w/o question, the dumbest poll in the history of .net

At least 27% of people disagree with you

At least 27% of the people that bothered to respond. I'm guessing many, like myself, thought it too stupid to even respond.
Question: How are we going to get all these draft picks for RW if only a few Hawk fans think he's any good. I can't see GM's giving up multiple picks for a mediocre QB.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The problem with draft picks is you are reliant on someone turning them into something.

For the past few years, we have not been very good at that.

So trading ANY player for draft picks is like trading a guy that 100% chance of being a player for a guy that is 25% chance of being a player. Maybe as a salary saving risk, but I am not sure what you get with that.

Now, if we had not decimated our defense? Sure. Because the Eagles and the Vikings have shown you can win with a great defense and an average game manager type of QB. But you need the great defense, which we got rid of.

So a deal like trading Russ to the Jets for draft picks is off the table then.

But Russ is going to have to show that he can be productive in all 4 quarters or he isn't going to be worth his existing contract, much less 30M a year.

We have a tendency to want to make excuses for him (some of you do) but the truth is that when you are paying the QB 30M, you are going to have holes in the team because you cannot pay people well at some other positions. So there will always be reasons for the excuses - a guy being paid $30M a year needs to be better than the damage his paycheck does to the roster.

But there is the reality that Russ was (hopefully?) hamstrung by a terrible OC. Not sure that the current OC is a tremendous trade up but he is hopefully not going to disregard scoring for 3 quarters. So there is still a good chance that Russ can be worth what he is being paid this year. And he will have to be, the defense will not be winning games for this team or propping up the offense anymore.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TreeRon":d8zk4xpk said:
How are we going to get all these draft picks for RW if only a few Hawk fans think he's any good. I can't see GM's giving up multiple picks for a mediocre QB.

Because GM's are smart, that's why they're GM's, and the knuckleheads who can't see that Russell's a top 10 QB in his prime think it'd be smart to trade him for what?

To waste that pick on an unproven college QB, that even if he's good will take years to be half as good as Russell is now? BRILLIANT!!

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1uw4bje1 said:
Trading a franchise QB away in this day and age for unknowns in the draft is pure insanity. So how many of the 30% of people who would at least consider this are insane, and how many of you just don't think Russ is a franchise QB?

I think trying to build another SB caliber team around RW is a mistake.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
How many draft picks would the Seahawks have to spend and trade for before they find a QB as talented as Russell Wilson? And how many wasted seasons would we have to suffer through before they do?

No matter how idiotic the idea, there will be some people who will gravitate toward it.

:roll:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Biscanebay12":1yvvec7g said:
Hawknballs":1yvvec7g said:
Trading a franchise QB away in this day and age for unknowns in the draft is pure insanity. So how many of the 30% of people who would at least consider this are insane, and how many of you just don't think Russ is a franchise QB?

I think trying to build another SB caliber team around RW is a mistake.

If we already have a young stud on the roster ready to go? Then I agree with you, at that point Russell becomes expendable, and we can build a SB team on the cheap again without his massive salary.

But we don't, and until we do, then no one should be for trading him in hopes of drafting an unproven college QB that has a very small chance of ever being as good as Russell is now.

adeltaY

Reaction score
So do people who want to trade Russ really believe we will definitely draft a SB caliber QB with one of those picks? Be honest, what are the chances of that?

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":3birgtup said:
So do people who want to trade Russ really believe we will definitely draft a SB caliber QB with one of those picks? Be honest, what are the chances of that?

Well based on our trade history, would have to be someone late second or third round and competitor, we won't get a first .

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Thought I'd open this up again now that a quarter off the season is over. Some really good players so far at the top of this past years draft. Also the question posed that we get the Browns number 1 next year too. I love Russ but makes you think.

Fade

Reaction score
I am for actually improving the team & scheme around the QB.

Signing guys like Cary Williams, J'Marcus Webb, Luke Joeckel, Eddie Lacey, Ed Dickson, have done far more damaga to the team's salary cap, than paying the premium for a Pro-Bowl QB.

In a rolling cap that is a lot of money wasted.

Then piling on top of him with an out-of-date offensive scheme that is designed to hold him down, rather than extenuate his talents, is just adding insult to injury.

Getting an extra Germaine Ifedi, or Rashaad Penny in the upcoming draft, and losing Wilson isn't going to make the team better, but worse. They will save a lot of money though... to spend on the substandard free agents they predominantly sign every off-season.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
See all the young cheap QB's have success makes me jealous. I still think Russ would look great in a chargers uniform. I'd want a high first and a 2nd.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

massari

Reaction score
It's basic football knowledge that Wilson sucks. Come on guys.