Votes: 38 26.6%
  • Top10

Votes: 28 19.6%

• Total voters

johnnyfever

Reaction score
JimmyG":e2wwnh6q said:
austinslater25":e2wwnh6q said:
He's already statistically top 5 and that's with a terrible line for 3 years. He's #2 all time in passed rating and all of his other advanced stats put him roughly in the top 5 now. Improve his line and I don't see how he doesn't put up even better numbers. I think recency bias is clouding people slightly with the past two weeks and last year when he was hurt. I think he could easily lead a high volume passing attack as well as anyone.
Someone citing Wilson being #2 all-time in passer rating is accusing others of suffering from "recency bias". Now there's irony. Collectively, the league has a passer rating of 87.9 this year. 20 years ago the league average rating was 75.0. You cannot compare passer ratings across eras. You just can't. It's worthless. It's like comparing the vet min salary today to the vet min salary to the 1997 one.

Wilson had a strong second half yesterday. He was also complete garbage in the first half (up until the 2 minute warning). This has nothing to do with Bevell. Wilson airmailed countless throws. It's his fault. A bulk of his stats came in the 4th quarter after the Titans went up big. I know we like to use flowery language like Wilson "willing his team back" or "taking over the game" but in my opinion a lot of the bulk numbers were produced after Titans started to concede yards for clock time.

Wilson finished the day with 373 yards, 4 TD and a 110.3 passer rating. Great day, but I'm getting desensitized to these lopsided numbers. Again, times have changed. You know who also had a good day yesterday? Case Keenum (369 yards, 3 TD, 142.1 passer rating). And you know who else? Blake Bortles (244 yards, 4 TD, 128.2 passer rating -- and he was subbed out in the 4th for his backup). I'm not trying to downplay his performance so much as I'm trying to keep it in perspective. The game has changed now, let's not forget that.

Since Lynch retired, Wilson has a collective passer rating of 92.3 in 19 starts (which ranks 14th in the league) and a win percentage of .573; prior to that, it was a 101.8 passer rating and a .718 win pct. People are quick to bring up that "no, wait, our offensive line is terrible" or "no, you don't understand, he was playing gimpy last year". If are are going to make excuses for why his numbers have dropped, isn't it only fair/reasonable to take his early-career numbers with a grain of salt since he had probably the most talented roster in the league and the assistance of Lynch? (In fairness, he did have a really strong stretch in 2015 when Lynch was hurt, but that's a pretty small sample size.)

Great response. Can't argue with the logic or the numbers here. The only thing I will say is with such an inept offensive strategy coaching staff a QB like wilson is about the best fit. If we put Brady behind our line and with Bev's playcalls, he would be in the Emergency room before the end of the first quarter. A mobile QB who shines in scrambling and backyard ball after broken plays (most of our plays are broken) has kept us alive. We rarely blow teams out. The year we got our lombardi, we were beaten a few times in the playoffs if it weren't for a miraculous wilson scramble for 12 yards to get the 1st down in the 4th to keep the drive alive. Numerous times he had to do it a few times in the last drive to get one in the endzone.

While I agree that these numbers and your logic behind them are well thought out and correct, Wilson has been a huge part of our success because he makes something out of nothing many times, and nothing as a strategy is becoming the norm. Put wants a smashmouth run first team with no one to smash any mouths, and so far no run game. Ply to yor strengths not what you wish were your strengths.

How many 3rd and longs have we seen where Bev calls a screen behind the LOS or a handoff run straight up the gut into a pile of bodies. Neither of these plays have a chance. Early in the game, Wilson does what Bev tells him to which leads to many 3 and outs. Late in the game, he takes it into his hands to get yards, many times just scrambling and either picking it up himself or getting to whatever receiver scrambles after the play has broken down.

Long story short-Until they get rid of Bev and Cable, we have to have a QB like wilson or we go nowhere.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
JimmyG":1l4koywk said:
austinslater25":1l4koywk said:
He's already statistically top 5 and that's with a terrible line for 3 years. He's #2 all time in passed rating and all of his other advanced stats put him roughly in the top 5 now. Improve his line and I don't see how he doesn't put up even better numbers. I think recency bias is clouding people slightly with the past two weeks and last year when he was hurt. I think he could easily lead a high volume passing attack as well as anyone.
Someone citing Wilson being #2 all-time in passer rating is accusing others of suffering from "recency bias". Now there's irony. Collectively, the league has a passer rating of 87.9 this year. 20 years ago the league average rating was 75.0. You cannot compare passer ratings across eras. You just can't. It's worthless. It's like comparing the vet min salary today to the vet min salary to the 1997 one.

Wilson had a strong second half yesterday. He was also complete garbage in the first half (up until the 2 minute warning). This has nothing to do with Bevell. Wilson airmailed countless throws. It's his fault. A bulk of his stats came in the 4th quarter after the Titans went up big. I know we like to use flowery language like Wilson "willing his team back" or "taking over the game" but in my opinion a lot of the bulk numbers were produced after Titans started to concede yards for clock time.

Wilson finished the day with 373 yards, 4 TD and a 110.3 passer rating. Great day, but I'm getting desensitized to these lopsided numbers. Again, times have changed. You know who also had a good day yesterday? Case Keenum (369 yards, 3 TD, 142.1 passer rating). And you know who else? Blake Bortles (244 yards, 4 TD, 128.2 passer rating -- and he was subbed out in the 4th for his backup). I'm not trying to downplay his performance so much as I'm trying to keep it in perspective. The game has changed now, let's not forget that.

Since Lynch retired, Wilson has a collective passer rating of 92.3 in 19 starts (which ranks 14th in the league) and a win percentage of .573; prior to that, it was a 101.8 passer rating and a .718 win pct. People are quick to bring up that "no, wait, our offensive line is terrible" or "no, you don't understand, he was playing gimpy last year". If are are going to make excuses for why his numbers have dropped, isn't it only fair/reasonable to take his early-career numbers with a grain of salt since he had probably the most talented roster in the league and the assistance of Lynch? (In fairness, he did have a really strong stretch in 2015 when Lynch was hurt, but that's a pretty small sample size.)

Wilson had a talented roster on DEFENSE. He had a solid offensive roster but let's not pretend as if we had Falcons like talent on offense

Yes the passer rating has changed over the years, but we don't use that to discredit Rodgers or Brady. Fact is, him having a high passer rating and comeback drives speak to his ability. He's one of the top QBs in the league, period. What you're doing essentially is drawing a line in the sand on your opinion of Wilson and using whatever you can to bolster that biased argument