Reports: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
It's both hopeful and hypothetical but...

SomersetHawk":3culy4ni said:
We now have 57 players contracted for next year including the futures. The 51 counting against the cap put us at a little over $124m. If we're saying the cap jumps to $145m (a not all that optimistic projection) then that will leave us with $21m.

That $21m would be spent on extending Russell and Bobby as well as some FA contracts. However, it's not like we've only got $21m to extend guys and sign like 20 free agents, so quit that thinking!

Because we've already got our 51 contracted players to count against the cap, any free agent and rookie signings will only add to the cap if their contracts exceed those currently in the top 51. Among the top 51 contracts are five futures signings all earning $435k. All future draft signings and free agents signings will exceed those numbers but for the majority it will be marginal. If we work off eight draftees/udfa making the 51 at an average of $600k, the cap will rise just $1.3m.

That would leave us with the best part of $20m for extensions and free agency. Say we bring in about 8-10 free agents, the majority of those would be on similar contracts to the draftees and so wont impact the cap. A few will be higher. But assuming we can extend Russ, Bobby, Sweezy and Marshawn for a $15m hit in 2015, we'd be left with about $6-7m for a couple of bigger FA guys. (Of course keeping Kearse would wipe out a third of that).

In light of recent reports. If you forget about Kearse and cut McDaniel you could be looking at $10m to throw at Suh. If he really does want to come to Seattle, then $10m might just be enough to land him (first year). When you consider the rising cap plus the possibility Lynch, Mebane and Okung could be gone after next year it just might work. Other than Irvin, I see nobody else currently with us looking at a big contract in 2016.

Hyak

Reaction score
The weakness of the defense when all was healthy was still the pass rush. Adding a guy like Suh would upgrade that.

I still don't expect it to happen but he is a dominant DL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":8rzf7mx4 said:
Not a cap expert, but could we give him a 2 year deal (it can be fluffed up as a 7-year giant deal) that pays market value for a DT of his caliber.. then allow him to hit FA again when he's still in his prime?

What player has ever done this for his first post rookie deal contract?

2nd deal contracts? Yes, a little more creativity because they've already made their 30-40 million of guaranteed money. But 1st big deal? Players go for the max 4-5 year huge extension with as much guaranteed cash as possible.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Make it happen like the Pats signed Revis last year.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
JTB":130pxa0i said:
The weakness of the defense when all was healthy was still the pass rush. Adding a guy like Suh would upgrade that.

Avril + Bennett + McDaniels. That's a weakness?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Why am I letting myself get excited over this?

Avril-Suh-Mebane-Bennett with Irvin, Hill, Marsh, Scruggs as depth? Not even factoring in possibly Kevin Williams and/or Schofield coming back.

Wow.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31nwntuy said:
Hasselbeck":31nwntuy said:
Not a cap expert, but could we give him a 2 year deal (it can be fluffed up as a 7-year giant deal) that pays market value for a DT of his caliber.. then allow him to hit FA again when he's still in his prime?

What player has ever done this for his first post rookie deal contract?

2nd deal contracts? Yes, a little more creativity because they've already made their 30-40 million of guaranteed money. But 1st big deal? Players go for the max 4-5 year huge extension with as much guaranteed cash as possible.

Good point. Also didn't realize he's 28. Dude will want to get paid.

Probably just a pipe dream right now, but a fun one.

uncle fester

Reaction score
If JS thought he could get him, he'd be straight on the phone.

The thought of Suh on this defense... Oh Lordy...

Hyak

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2eodubca said:

Not necessarily weak but upgradeable. Our pass rush in 2014 was not nearly what it was in 2013. The defense was great this year as well but our numbers vs the top QB's were not as good as in 2013 and this is mainly why.

Whether it's a move like this or getting another edge rusher, it's a big need IMO.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
It's effectively window shopping but Suh and Bennett in the middle with the speed of Avril and Irvin on the outside would make any O-line crap their pants. False starts galore!

Followthelegion

Reaction score
It would be pretty awesome to see opposing offensive co-ordinators try and find a way of getting production against a fully healthy defense of:

DL = IRVIN BENNETT SUH AVRIL (assuming mcdaniel and mebane are gone)

LB = WRIGHT WAGNER KPL

CB = SHERMAN LANE MAXWELL (/ SIMON / FA)

S = KAM & ETIII

Edit: and yes I know thats 12 men, the slot corner was simply added due to the fact he will be on the field for a lot of plays

ZagHawk

Reaction score
If he was a willing to sign for something cap friendly for the Hawks (which he won't). I'm all for it.

Lets face it, the Seahawks are the most hated if not one of the most hated teams in the NFL. There's no fixing it at least at this current time. Might as well add to it and get some on-field production out of it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":32jvt9ab said:
JTB":32jvt9ab said:

Those players are not weaknesses, but our D-line depth was certainly a weakness this year........especially compared to 2013.

But overall:

2013 Sacks = 44
2014 Sacks = 37

So no, not a huge statistical drop off, but IMO there was quite a big wear and tear drop off. I'd much rather guys like Bennett and Avril go back to their 60% of snaps played, as opposed to 80-90%. That means getting some more help all across the line, especially DT.

kjreid

Reaction score
we would need the cap to go up 25 mil this year and still have Suh take less money. I would love to see it but it is sooooo far fetched that I can't even get it in my brain.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I want to play for the Seahawks too and I'll do it for the league minimum.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The only way I really see this working is if Suh pulls a Revis. Gambles every year on huge 1-year deals. Considering his stature in the game, it might not be a terrible idea for him. It's working for Revis.

Can't see them pulling off a long-term deal anywhere close to his market value.

pehawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1mvtpl16 said:
I want to play for the Seahawks too and I'll do it for the league minimum.

You could at least make the PS as a WR. True Bill

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1gzbhpvt said:
Scottemojo":1gzbhpvt said:
Like pe said, his love of the Hawks going back to before the Lions drafted him was known.

To me, this is like signing Reggie White, sans pulpit. If you can do it and not wreck the model, you do it.

The Raiders have twice as much to spend and would still get him to a short flight home. I have been saying he goes to the Raiders for months now, I will stick with that.
While I tend to agree with this, he wants to win. Did you see him after the Lion loss to the Cowboys? He looked broken. Giving him a decent contract, offering him a chance to play for the team he wants to and offering him a legit shot at winning multiple SBs?

Seems too good to be true, which means it probably is
It would be up to him as Scottie said Reggie White is a good comp basically the guy will be getting multiple offers and some of those offers (Raiders) won't be able to be topped moneywise. But if I remember correctly Reggie didn't break Green Bay when he signed because he came from Philadelphia which at that time was pretty much like Detroit (very talented but going nowhere concerning Superbowls, playoffs etc.) while Green Bay was and he was looking to win championships because he already made his money to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts