Tiresome Negativity

Hawkpower

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3bersdft said:
Hawkpower":3bersdft said:
QUILCENE":3bersdft said:
This teams offense looks very mediocre at best- Sorry the truth offends some.

The offensive line is terrible- we already know that- and they are going to have to address this very quickly, or face a mediocre season.

Telling it like it is.

The offensive line has been terrible for years now.

How is this any different?

I am hopeful that Wilson will get his accuracy back in a hurry, but he has been off for a while now.

Wilson was like that last year too during preseason and the year before. He use to always overthrow and underthrow and when regular season started then he did much better, there were quite a few times that he did overthrow and under throw in the regular season but not like it's an everyday thing for him.

Hope so.

His accuracy was well off for much of the postseason last year too.

Too frequent lately for my comfort level.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Meh, Defense looks great and thats without Kam and Thomas back there. Special Teams looks great Lockett and KPL are tearing it up big time.

The offense has all the time it needs to click. We still havent seen the full complement of players out there.

4 things are apparent on offense.

1. Alvin Bailey is simply atrocious in a starting role. For someone who showed decent promise as a rookie, his progression has become saddening. The compare and contrast between Gilliam and Bailey, is crazy. Gilliam's technique isnt very good but the dude never surrenders, never gives up, and always gives himself a fighters chance. As a defender, once you beat Bailey, you know youre going to be able to finish 9 out of 10 times.

2. Lynch is the lifeblood of this offense. His presence makes everyone better. Even the D feeds off of him. Wilson needs him. There is no sidekicks, only co-Heroes.

3. Tyler Lockett aka Thundercat is a superstar in the making. I said this in one of the NFL Nation threads: He's going to be special. Like a poorman's 2002/2003 Dante Hall meets a poorman's Antonio Brown special. Every game Lockett gets a little bit richer.

4. Bevell needs to put away his playbook. Go off script. Let Russell guide the offense on his own accord, Russ is a big boy now, he should have full command of the offense with Bevell only giving subtle direction stuck up in a booth far from the field. Its just the best times weve seen this offense click is in desperation mode and Wilson his pulled off his system controlled leash.

With that Russ needs to work on his decision making. He needs to be selfish when there is opportunity and yet know when to call it quits when he's in the face of danger.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised people are so doom and gloom with the offense. We were a top 5 unit last year or close to it and we add Graham to the mix. Maybe we should wait to see what a full game with all our guys can do before saying the season is over? The offense will be fine.

Rocket

Reaction score
austinslater25":15dol0b4 said:
We were a top 5 unit last year or close to it and we add Graham to the mix.
Do you believe the o-line has changed? If so, for the better or for the worse? If you see changes, how do said changes effect running and passing production?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
People's expectations are higher than in most seasons, and many of us desperately want to get the stink off after Bevell called the worst play in NFL history and cost us back-to-back super bowls.

If we don't make it back to the super bowl then the worst play in NFL history will be remembered much more by 97% of the country than our lone Super Bowl victory.

Making it to the super bowl again (and winning it) will mean that we will see waaaaaaaaaaay less replays of that play in the coming decades. Sandwiching that play with 2 super bowl victories would cement our domination and almost turn that play into a "we wanted to give the other team a fair chance" kinda thing.

Kinda hard to focus on that play when the REAL story is a level of domination rarely ever seen in pro sports.

The seahawks D already cemented its legacy of domination, but the overall Seahawks legacy of this era hasn't been written yet. This upcoming season determines a lot about how this team is remembered.

peppersjap

Reaction score
There is a reason they play the pre season and we are seeing it right now. They are working on things. I am not concerned in the least. it is aggravating to watch because you want to see everything click but just not always going to happen during glorified practices. I am shocked by how serious people on here take these games. One guy was posting about how bad our Defense looked last night, our starters on the line barely played and we haven't seen Earl yet and Sherman played but I don't think Rivers ever went anywhere near him. Our offense struggled but Marshawn played 3 plays and Okung did not play. We have a center and a RT who were starting there 2nd games. Wilson has missed on a few passes the last 2 games (not by much) that if completed would have completely changed the outlook.

Barthawk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3oigs36x said:
chet380":3oigs36x said:
While conceding that everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, is it not possible to let up on the relentless torrent of criticism and look to some positive elements and to keep in mind that it is the pre-season and mistakes are going to happen -- the FO, coaching staff and the nucleus of the present team has taken us to the past two Super Bowls -- no other NFL team can claim that.

What possible positive can there be when it comes to the offense...Lynch looked ok, but was only in 1 series...Graham has had his moments. Overall our offense has looked like one of the worst in the entire league so far. There is cause for concern

Because preseason production is an indicator of regular season proficiency? The most important aspect of the preseason is not what they look like w/o game planning, but finishing w/o injuries.

I would take four losses/mediocrity if it meant no one got hurt.

Barthawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3mw5xeyc said:
People's expectations are higher than in most seasons, and many of us desperately want to get the stink off after Bevell called the worst play in NFL history and cost us back-to-back super bowls.

If we don't make it back to the super bowl then the worst play in NFL history will be remembered much more by 97% of the country than our lone Super Bowl victory.

Making it to the super bowl again (and winning it) will mean that we will see waaaaaaaaaaay less replays of that play in the coming decades. Sandwiching that play with 2 super bowl victories would cement our domination and almost turn that play into a "we wanted to give the other team a fair chance" kinda thing.

Kinda hard to focus on that play when the REAL story is a level of domination rarely ever seen in pro sports.

The seahawks D already cemented its legacy of domination, but the overall Seahawks legacy of this era hasn't been written yet. This upcoming season determines a lot about how this team is remembered.

good post (disagree about the people not remembering the whoooping to Denver). I believe so much of the drama/negativity is due to the fact that we are developing a larger fan base and some of the newer fans are so used to us dominating and playing well that these periods of "WTF" in the preseason are maddening to them.. I could be wrong, but that is what I believe..

A

Anonymous

Question:

Who here has entertained the notion of smoke and mirrors?

I ask, because I'm of the mind that PC is a brilliant mind and protecting looks and shielding potential tendencies are what is now required to protect a competitive advantage.

I believe in the thought that highly-skilled and trained athletes just don't suddenly forget how to pass, run, or catch in a few months time. Rather, I think it is much more likely that the players we saw go to two consecutive SBs are being coached, and are good enough to, sandbag in front of our very eyes.

Count me among those who thinks that there is an extreme amount of craftiness going on, as it is the only explanation that fits when trying to wrap one's mind around the perceived ineptitude.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I am not as worried about hte offense. I think it will be a bit of work in progress and my thoughts is by the week 4 or 5 they will be doing pretty darn good. It may be a little ragged till then but with our style we just need to keep it close and then close it out in the 4th qtr. Sound kinda familiar?

I think the biggest difference this team is from past teams is that it knows it is very good and when all the pieces are together and playing it will be a different game. Also this team is never going to be that fluid team like the Donks or even Chargers we are about beating you up for 3 qtrs and then stealing your heart in the 4 dtr. The system has been working fairly well.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1tez7ppe said:
Question:

Who here has entertained the notion of smoke and mirrors?

I ask, because I'm of the mind that PC is a brilliant mind and protecting looks and shielding potential tendencies are what is now required to protect a competitive advantage.

I believe in the thought that highly-skilled and trained athletes just don't suddenly forget how to pass, run, or catch in a few months time. Rather, I think it is much more likely that the players we saw go to two consecutive SBs are being coached, and are good enough to, sandbag in front of our very eyes.

Count me among those who thinks that there is an extreme amount of craftiness going on, as it is the only explanation that fits when trying to wrap one's mind around the perceived ineptitude.

I would agree, if Bevell hadn't disproved this time and time again. He is the anti-crafty guy.

Now, with that said I will agree that we have yet to show our full potential during a preseason under PC, and that is mainly due to using vanilla play calling.

Largent80

Reaction score
This team has lulled us to sleep at times. We always seem to start games slow.

Considering how hard it is to keep a team together these days, we are riding a pinnacle of success. People just expect it now. Simply pointing out deficiencies isn't being negative.

I don't know about Y'all but I am not feeling so warm and fuzzy going into St.Louis with our porous O-Line vs. that front 7. That isn't being negative, just real.

Seafan

Reaction score
Largent80":2tpuo2h3 said:

Considering how hard it is to keep a team together these days, we are riding a pinnacle of success. People just expect it now. Simply pointing out deficiencies isn't being negative.

I don't know about Y'all but I am not feeling so warm and fuzzy going into St.Louis with our porous O-Line vs. that front 7. That isn't being negative, just real.

Going into St Louis has never been a picnic. Won't be any different this year. A win there would just be gravy. I'm not expecting it but won't be surprised or disappointed either way.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Largent80":2pnjp7gl said:

This. The offense, even at its best, always got better as the game went on and Lynch wore the defense down. We had the BEST second half DVOA on offense last year and only middle of the road in the first half. There has been no opportunity to do that. Preseason simply doesn't allow us to put the whole offensive strategy together. Really, how many first halfs on the road has our offense EVER come out and dominated - not many. So anyone expecting an offensive explosion has to recalibrate their expectations or be pissed.

Also, our offense line will have growing pains this year. Anyone who doesn't expect that is simply fooling themselves. But once again, our offensive line has never been dominant for Wilson or Lynch so I think we'll manage.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2bnw8ore said:
Based on our Pre-season performance so far.....we're going to have a tough time in St. Louis.
Why would you base any expectations of what the regular season holds on the Preseason?

We haven't looke great this preseason, barely winning only one of three games but so what? Preseason results are not, at all, the point of preseason games. We're looking at individual performances, personnel combinations, wild hair ideas (that we may never see in an actual game), adaptation to new rules and the like ... we are not trying to win games! We're not game planning or studying the opposition or any of the things you do in the regular season to win games.

Winning is great if it happens, and once the whistle blows the players and coaches should absolutely be doing everything they can (within the construct of the real preseason goals) to do so. And as fans pay good money to see these games they are obligated as a team and as individuals to give it an honest effort, and I believe we do. But I don't sweat preseason losses and I sure don't imagine the preseason results to be a harbinger of what we can expect in the regular season.

Would I be happier if Wilson were lighting things up? Sure.

Would I be more excited about the season if Graham had 8 catches and 3 TD's? Of course I would.

Would I have a warm fuzzy if our O-line looked like our 05 O-line? Absolutely!

But the fact that none of those things happened don't worry me. Any more than our front 7 looking like our new Legion of Boom against preseason opposition makes me think it will still look like our most dominant unit come regular season.

I'm not particularly optimistic about our preseason performance, but I am no less optimistic about our 2015 season.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Here are two big positives.

Special teams last year was a disaster. This year it looks like a strength. Kicking, returns and tackling all look elite. That would have been the difference in another win or two last year.

This years defense also looks like it may be the best yet. Clark provides another pass rushing presence we needed last year and Mebane/Hill look great so far. Wright appears to have taken the FO faith in him and raised his game to another level.

The offense will find its rhythm soon.

seahawks187

Reaction score
If RW struggles in the regular season, we know why. Spending too much time with Ciara.. Thoughts ?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Rocket":hizd9f4x said:
austinslater25":hizd9f4x said:
We were a top 5 unit last year or close to it and we add Graham to the mix.
Do you believe the o-line has changed? If so, for the better or for the worse? If you see changes, how do said changes effect running and passing production?
I don't think it will be much worse and if okung stays healthy it could be better.