Trevone Boykin--Is He Seahawks Back-up QB? poll & discussion

Do you think that Trevone Boykin will be the backup QB for the Seahawks this year?

• Yes

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Unsure at this point

Votes: 17 14.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":1113ym3p said:
Obviously Tjack isn't coming back. But if I could get a Tjack level backup who fits our offense for a late-round pick, I would jump at the chance to make that trade.

That said, even if Seattle made a trade like that, I would want to see them hold onto Boykins with a roster spot. With some time in the offense I could see him becoming a better backup than Tjack was. Boykins already feels like a raw version of Tyrod Taylor, I'd really like to see how he looks down the road after getting in years of practices and training.

More realistically, it looks like Carroll will take a risk and enter the season with Boykins as the #2 QB. This has a slight feel of rushing a prospect, like the Mariners have done in the past with guys like Mike Zunino, but in terms of talent I definitely want him on the final 53 man roster one way or another and I'd settle for 'rushing' him into the #2 role if it came to that.

Yep. I agree with basically everything you said. If Schneider CAN swing a deal (somehow, someway) for a veteran back-up -- I think they do that. Problem is that with the extremely limited market of competent back-up QB's, I think that has the potential to be a pretty expensive deal. Deal or no deal though, I don't see them letting Boykin go. Agreed.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
dogorama":esc3mxrz said:
scutterhawk":esc3mxrz said:
dogorama":esc3mxrz said:
No offense but one preseason game is not enough to even offer a speculative answer to that question.
This is a somewhat incomplete answer, as I see it, the Seahawks don't have much of a deck to draw from, so they are going to have to put up some cash and take a chance on someone to come in and show that they're a better option than Boykin.
He is rough around the edges, but maybe he's open and capable of learning what he needs from RW; he does seem to possess a similar skillset, albeit much more rawness in his play.
I'm thinking that the Seahawks will still be on the hunt for a veteran Quarterback to come in and compete, but as I already stated, there isn't a whole lot of QB's on the market right now...Maybe when the other teams start paring down their rosters?

Here's the deal, if the question was put to me: is Boykin leading at this time? I would say yes, but. That isn't the question though, it's, is he our back-up QB? That seems like a poll that would be more appropriate after the third or even fourth preseason game, but I get it, people are bored and are reaching for something to discuss.

Fans are fickle, if Heaps throws for good yardage Thurs and Boykin throws a couple of int's the poll goes exactly the opposite way. Players can look great in practice and not be good at all in games and vice versa, the NFL is full of players like that. I want to see a football player not a 40 yd-three cone-vertical athletic wonder AND the only real way to see that is in a game.

Naw. It's honestly not boredom on my part whatsoever. It's just that I've looked at ...

1) the market of guys who are competent back-up QB's (it's a pretty short list)

2) the kind of QB that Seattle would ideally be looking at -- someone who wouldn't require them to drastically alter a lot of the playbook were this guy to actually have to be pressed into action. It would have to be a guy who fits what the Seahawks do on offense. That shrinks that list even further.

Honestly, as I survey the landscape of free agents and the rosters of the rest of the 31 teams, I only really see a couple of longshot maybes. Those names are ...

Tavaris Jackson
Mark Sanchez

I'm not saying those are good options, it's just what I see as perhaps being available. In a word, not much.

Would I LIKE a veteran QB to be our back-up? Absolutely. If he's mobile and fits what we do. Given the lack of options however, I just throw out the question. Honestly at this point, I think Boykin is our guy. Ready or not. Like it or not. Things could change, but that's just how I see the situation at the moment.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2otrj2yr said:
dogorama":2otrj2yr said:
Jimjones0384":2otrj2yr said:
dogorama":2otrj2yr said:
No offense but one preseason game is not enough to even offer a speculative answer to that question.
It isn't just one pre season game. He has been a seahawk since the draft. It is all of the off season programs, and 1 pre season game. So from what was reported all off season, and watching the first pre season game, it seems the job is his. I just cannot believe how worked up people are over his early game woes. He is a rookie starting his first pre season game, not to mention on the road in the second loudest stadium in the nfl. He came from a shotgun offense in college and really never worked from under center. After all of those odds working against him, he still showed growth within one game. He showed poise, grit, and a determination to win. He was going to make mistakes. Hell, Russell made a bigger mistake than he did.

Who's worked up? I merely said that one preseason game is not enough information for me to make an evaluation, especially when I didn't get to see enough of the other QB. And, fromt what I have heard they both have shown some good things in practice. Is that unreasonable?
Being reasonable is totally overrated get with the program already.

Sorry, the worked up comment was kind of a separate thought, not necessarily aimed at you. The first part was in response to your post, the rest was in general.

two dog

Reaction score
You bet he will be. With additional time and coaching Boykin is as close
to Russell Wilson light as you are likely to see among current QB's.

I just hope (make that pray) that Russ can maintain his ironman persona
until Trevone reaches that point. They don't dare try to sneak him onto the
practice squad because they would lose him in a heartbeat.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I have very mild trepidation going into the season with a rookie backup QB. I don't see the sense in paying someone with less talent, more money, just because they've bounced around the league for 5 or 6 years as a backup. I think Boykan has the potential to go all Willie Beamen if necessary! It may not be a thing of beauty, but he might get it done.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
two dog":12z5fn39 said:
You bet he will be. With additional time and coaching Boykin is as close
to Russell Wilson light as you are likely to see among current QB's.

I just hope (make that pray) that Russ can maintain his ironman persona
until Trevone reaches that point. They don't dare try to sneak him onto the
practice squad because they would lose him in a heartbeat.
Exactly, unless Wilson plays at an elite level until he's 40-45 years old. Very possible but not likely. Boykin is a keeper that has every bit the pedigree and physical tools of Wilson and is taller. He just needs to learn how to slide properly. :mrgreen:

That head first crap has to go immediately.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I understand why its still speculation..but all the clues say yes. Unless someone becomes available who they really think they could coach up to Tjack level , its Boykin.

Its not just 1 pre season game we have to go on. Its all of Training Camp and all of the off season.

Not only did they not sign any other QB, they didnt really bring in anyone after OTAs that I recall.

In early TC when it seemed to many observers, including me and Sammy, that the offense just stalled whenever it was Boykin or Heaps..the FO still didnt make a move.

Heap was never really going to be given a shot. Its been clear he is a camp arm even when he performed better or equal to Boykin.

All this says the team really likes Boykin, and they probably also like the fact the offense wouldnt change style if he had to play.

With 3 weeks left and TC over.. a new guy would have to learn the system, learn the receivers, build a relationship with them.. Just doesnt seem likely at all.

One guy I think they might be intrigued by is EJ Manuel but it just seems like they are high on Boykin and confident with him.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Vetamur":3otf9nxx said:
I understand why its still speculation..but all the clues say yes. Unless someone becomes available who they really think they could coach up to Tjack level , its Boykin.

Its not just 1 pre season game we have to go on. Its all of Training Camp and all of the off season.

Not only did they not sign any other QB, they didnt really bring in anyone after OTAs that I recall.

In early TC when it seemed to many observers, including me and Sammy, that the offense just stalled whenever it was Boykin or Heaps..the FO still didnt make a move.

Heap was never really going to be given a shot. Its been clear he is a camp arm even when he performed better or equal to Boykin.

All this says the team really likes Boykin, and they probably also like the fact the offense wouldnt change style if he had to play.

With 3 weeks left and TC over.. a new guy would have to learn the system, learn the receivers, build a relationship with them.. Just doesnt seem likely at all.

One guy I think they might be intrigued by is EJ Manuel but it just seems like they are high on Boykin and confident with him.
Manuel can't pass the ball and well Boykin obviously can... so next.(Given he was my only possible option after Boykin). I even spell his name right, so keep up boys. :3-1:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
As I've said elsewhere, the prudent move would be to bring in Tarvaris as the sound insurance policy, while retaining Boykin as the development guy.

Dismas

Reaction score
To answer the OP question, I think so, and hope so.

I don't really understand all the angst I am seeing with regards to the backup being a rookie . . best possible situation at this moment, in my opinion.

Russell has shown a high durability factor, and has performed pretty consistently even when dinged up. So the choice is carry 3 QB ,since I think it is pretty risky to try and sneak Boykin onto the PS, or we can nut up and let the rookie be the backup, which is, typically, how one grows quarterbacks in the nfl.

I don't think it is unrealistic to assume that Russell being out for more than 4 or 5 games would sink our season, regardless of who the backup is, and so long as any shorter period of not having him happened after the 5th game or so I would expect Boykin to have grokked enough to be able to go .500 for 3 or 4 games.

By all means, let's use the rook for backup QB, and have that roster slot for qb3 be used on one of our other intriguing players that almost certainly wouldn't make it to the PS

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hgwellz12":1sovd383 said:
^^^ That there.

BTW, you're awesome MizzouHawkGal!!!
Thank you. I'm just a girl an ordinary girl that will attempt to run a little game again. But this time I have solid rules and Robin to help me. Blame Chris because he made me try again. And well..... believes in a guy that played our offense and was nearly as good as Wilson while playing D1 level like Wilson and bonus for the old guys..... he's like 6'0" tall!!!!! So he's barely short right?

peppersjap

Reaction score
My thought is that Boykin will not make it to the practice squad if they bring someone like Tavaris back. I think as long as he performs at a decent level then he will be the back up. I don't think anyone has any idea what Tavaris really has left, we haven't seen him QB in an important moment since Wilson got here. I like having a back up that can at least run the offense the way Wilson does, TJack does not do that nor does Heaps. I also think Heaps would make it to the practice squad based on his very average college career.

chris98251

Reaction score
He needs some polish, mechanics and to loosen up a bit, but it was his first game in a new system with a bunch of players he has not had a chance to work with repeatedly. He held up well and was thrown the unexpected and performed under stress and high expectations of himself, his coaches and his team. Not bad for game one.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
chris98251":8n05fxbm said:
He needs some polish, mechanics and to loosen up a bit, but it was his first game in a new system with a bunch of players he has not had a chance to work with repeatedly. He held up well and was thrown the unexpected and performed under stress and high expectations of himself, his coaches and his team. Not bad for game one.

Exactly. Not bad for a rookie. And we've all got to keep that in mind in judging his performance in this game -- Boykin is a rookie.

And furthermore, look at his performance in light of the other rookie QB's from this past weekend ...

NameTeamDraft StatusComp.Att.Comp%Yards PassingTD’sINT’sQB Rating
Trevone BoykinSeahawksUDFA162661.5%1881096.3
Jared GoffRams#1 Overall Pick4944.4%380117.1
Carson WentzEagles#2 Overall Pick122450.0%890141.8
Paxton LynchBroncos#26 Overall Pick6785.7%7400110.7
Connor CookRaiders2nd Round71163.6%710082.0
Jacoby BrissettPatriots3rd Round71353.8%730067.1
Cody KesslerBrowns3rd Round22100%1510137.5
Dak PrescottCowboys4th Round101283.3%13920154.5
Cardale JonesBills4th Round112152.3%1621093.8
Brandon AllenJaguars6th Round101952.6%1380154.3
Nate SudfeldRedskins6th Round101566.6%8910140.6
Jake RudockLions6th Round81172.7%13810120.3
Kevin HoganChiefs6th Round2633.3%21014.9
Jake Driskel49ers6th Round41233.3%200042.4
Brandon DoughtyDolphins7th Round7977.7%660097.2
Jake CokerCardinalsUDFA2540.0%160048.8
Joe CallahanPackersUDFA162369.5%1241097.0
Joel StaveVikingsUDFA81361.5%760145.7
Mike BercoviciChargersUDFA3650.0%460136.1
Marquise WilliamsPackersUDFA61442.8550124.4
[tdo=9] 2016 Rookie QB’s Passing Statistics (Week 1) [/tdo]

Looking at the numbers across the board ... you can make a strong case that Boykin and Dak Prescott had the 2 best performances among all the other rookie QB's who saw playing time. Not bad indeed.

Joygazm

Reaction score
Hes Cheap, Hes Athletic, We will sign a veteran if Wilson goes down for the season.

He is Wilson's back up.

dogorama

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":28a4ql1q said:
Looking at the numbers across the board ... you can make a strong case that Boykin and Dak Prescott had the 2 best performances among all the other rookie QB's who saw playing time. Not bad indeed.

Probably a good example of how stats don't tell the whole story. A good half of Boykin's yds were gained in the late 4th qtr when KC's scrubs were in and he was just throwing passes up for grabs (H-Mary's).

This whole discussion is an exercise in futility because if RW goes down, so goes the season. I can remember a time in the NFL when the back-up QB was the QB that was being groomed to take over the starting spot eventually. That no longer seems to be the case, but teams that have a real QB waiting in the wings have a real advantage over those that don't if a significant injury occurs.

Everyone is high on Boykin because, like the O-Line, they are desperate for anything that looks positive. People point to the fact that he was a Heisman finalist as validation of his credentials, but some of the biggest QB busts in NFL history were Heisman winners, not exactly a great recommendation. Then there is the RW comparison, Wilson runs a 4.5 40, Boykin a shade under 4.8, he runs about as fast as much taller QB's who are not valued for their speed. He was projected as a 6th round pick before he made a spectacularly bad decision and hit a cop. Speaking of stats, do you know the success rate of 6th round QB's that don't hit cops?

Given the fact that the Seahawks are rubbing hard up against the cap, and the fact that there is virtually nothing available, I guess he'll do for now.