Trevone Boykin--Is He Seahawks Back-up QB? poll & discussion

Do you think that Trevone Boykin will be the backup QB for the Seahawks this year?

• Yes

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Unsure at this point

Votes: 17 14.3%

• Total voters

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2hg2c29k said:
Siouxhawk":2hg2c29k said:
It's possible. But it's equally plausible that they bring him back for his veteran presence and add Boykin to the practice squad.

It appears there is is some confusion in the above post between the meaning of "plausible" and "wishful", Souix. Plausible means reasonable or probable. Neither of which fits at this point. Wishful? Perhaps for you, it is. You remind us of this (over and over and over. I must commend you, though, on always putting T-Jack forward in such a gentle way.

Tarvaris will contribute less veteran presence now than Russell will, and more than that, the actual ability to get the job done on the field consistently. If TJ were going to be on the roster, he would already be in order to get reps with the new faces.

If he's still on the free agent market at this point, it speaks to his value to all the teams in the league each of which has far better scouts than any of us are, and some of which would take a veteran backup with solid skills at this point.
Thanks, but plausible fits just fine here because covering your bases with a veteran that knows this offense like the back of his hand would be looked at as a sensible front office move.

chris98251

Reaction score
Boykin has shown a lot in one game, keeping his head alone will make Coaches and GM's take notice, leading a team down the field in 38 seconds is another. You have that kind of brass balls or you don't 4.8 isn't WR speed, but damn fast for a QB where lineman have to change direction and as fast as most LB's and plenty of speed to get 15 or so yards while the safety comes over or a CB has to drop off coverage to seal a sideline while you run out. Besides the Read Option isn't the heart and soul of this offense, it's a look, his ability to escape is more important then how fast he can run 40 yds really anyway.

All that said this was a great week one for the Kid, Jackson won't be back unless Wilson goes down for the Season, then we may bring him in as Boykins back up.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2xn4ediv said:
Siouxhawk":2xn4ediv said:
As far as veteran backups go, Tarvaris would only cost the NFL minimum against the cap, so a great investment as an insurance policy. And as far as PR goes, there shouldn't be any backlash as he was cleared of all charges. As far as we know, an agreement is in place and Tarvaris will surface with the team next week.
So now we are keeping three quarterbacks? Really? There are other players we will keep over some average veteran backup quarterback on this current team. Wilson is that veteran quarterback and he's actually elite. He can mentor Boykin just fine by himself. Or what? Travaris is more intelligent then Wilson now?
It's not unusual to keep a third quarterback on the practice squad -- Portis and Daniels come to mind. I guess it just comes down to how big of a gambler you are as a fan. I see the side that wants to go all-in on Boykin, but I'd rather hedge my bet with the makeup of this Super Bowl caliber team and bring in the security blanket that Tarvaris provides. As I said earlier, we can keep both and Boykin can learn a great deal from Russell and Tarvaris both. The rest of the offense would have great familiarity with Tarvaris and hence a peace of mind that will put them at ease if Russ were forced to the sidelines for a few games. As usual, I will trust Pete and John's better judgement in which way they want to go with this decision.

dogorama

Reaction score
chris98251":37dlj5mn said:
Boykin has shown a lot in one game, keeping his head alone will make Coaches and GM's take notice, leading a team down the field in 38 seconds is another. You have that kind of brass balls or you don't 4.8 isn't WR speed, but damn fast for a QB where lineman have to change direction and as fast as most LB's and plenty of speed to get 15 or so yards while the safety comes over or a CB has to drop off coverage to seal a sideline while you run out. Besides the Read Option isn't the heart and soul of this offense, it's a look, his ability to escape is more important then how fast he can run 40 yds really anyway.

All that said this was a great week one for the Kid, Jackson won't be back unless Wilson goes down for the Season, then we may bring him in as Boykins back up.

I agree that 4.8 isn't exactly slow but that wasn't my point, my point was his comparison to RW. He may be very quick to 20yds, there are lots of football players that fit that mold, but he isn't nearly as fast as RW and scouts aren't typically going to look at QB's w/that kind of speed as dual-threat QB's. That is why he was considered the 20th ranked QB coming out of college this year. Also, the point about him fitting the scheme was a reference to people posting that it was a good reason for his fit at backup QB, not that it was the "heart and soul of our offense." Your point about the ability to escape is well taken too, that is why I referenced the play where he didn't get that, and that it would be very rare to find someone as instinctual at it as RW is, particularly at his stage of development.

People seem to misread what I am saying. I am not saying he isn't good or doesn't have upside, I think he had a fine first outing, but to make comparisons to RW or that he is a major steal are entirely premature.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":xnaypmmz said:
MizzouHawkGal":xnaypmmz said:
Siouxhawk":xnaypmmz said:
As far as veteran backups go, Tarvaris would only cost the NFL minimum against the cap, so a great investment as an insurance policy. And as far as PR goes, there shouldn't be any backlash as he was cleared of all charges. As far as we know, an agreement is in place and Tarvaris will surface with the team next week.
So now we are keeping three quarterbacks? Really? There are other players we will keep over some average veteran backup quarterback on this current team. Wilson is that veteran quarterback and he's actually elite. He can mentor Boykin just fine by himself. Or what? Travaris is more intelligent then Wilson now?
It's not unusual to keep a third quarterback on the practice squad -- Portis and Daniels come to mind. I guess it just comes down to how big of a gambler you are as a fan. I see the side that wants to go all-in on Boykin, but I'd rather hedge my bet with the makeup of this Super Bowl caliber team and bring in the security blanket that Tarvaris provides. As I said earlier, we can keep both and Boykin can learn a great deal from Russell and Tarvaris both. The rest of the offense would have great familiarity with Tarvaris and hence a peace of mind that will put them at ease if Russ were forced to the sidelines for a few games. As usual, I will trust Pete and John's better judgement in which way they want to go with this decision.
I understand but at this point we go with two quarterbacks. So pick already.....coinflipper or someone that already proved he has a set and wins. Boykin isn't going to anybody's practice squad so heads or tails? It's a hard decision but it has to be made.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":11vbjt9c said:
Siouxhawk":11vbjt9c said:
MizzouHawkGal":11vbjt9c said:
Siouxhawk":11vbjt9c said:
I understand but at this point we go with two quarterbacks. So pick already.....coinflipper or someone that already proved he has a set and wins. Boykin isn't going to anybody's practice squad so heads or tails? It's a hard decision but it has to be made.
The option is still there for Boykin going to the practice squad. Would be a good spot for him to learn and grow. Get the guy with 13 pro wins, 20 touchdowns and 7,300 passing yards to his credit and you have some assurance.

chris98251

Reaction score
There is a drought of QB's that teams have confidence in right now, he will not make it through waivers, in fact given the known Ponder limitations, that team that used to be on the Bay may grab him just because they can, and because they have lost faith in Kaep or at least appears so possibly. We will see in a couple more games by how he performs and if he grows a bit more or encounters some difficulty and how he deals with it, as of game one he would not go unclaimed.

Rob12

Reaction score
He passes the eye test for me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1mpux0aw said:
There is a drought of QB's that teams have confidence in right now, he will not make it through waivers, in fact given the known Ponder limitations, that team that used to be on the Bay may grab him just because they can, and because they have lost faith in Kaep or at least appears so possibly. We will see in a couple more games by how he performs and if he grows a bit more or encounters some difficulty and how he deals with it, as of game one he would not go unclaimed.
And I'm not convinced that would be the likely scenario as otherwise he would've been drafted. If a team snatches him from our practice squad, he must land on their roster and I don't believe Trevone has give enough guarantees yet to be slotted into such a valuable spot. Tonight's game should add more clarity to this situation.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Tarvaris is yesterday, Boykin is tomorrow. If something were to happen to RW in week 2, or 8, or 10, if and when it were to happen, Tarvaris will still be sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring, no use using a roster spot paying him now.
By the time a reality as horrible as Russ getting injured were to happen, Trevone will have miles under his belt and be more than ready to handle the situation, if he isn't already.
I liked Tarvaris and wished he could have played healthy the year he started, just to see what could have been, but that didn't happen and now he is old news with too much baggage...

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1ovdlqef said:
chris98251":1ovdlqef said:
And I'm not convinced that would be the likely scenario as otherwise he would've been drafted. If a team snatches him from our practice squad, he must land on their roster and I don't believe Trevone has give enough guarantees yet to be slotted into such a valuable spot. Tonight's game should add more clarity to this situation.
I think you place a bit too much emphasis on drafted vs. undrafted. The draft is a numbers game. Just because a player is undrafted doesn't mean teams don't consider him to as good as someone they drafted. A player might go undrafted because teams evaluated his talent as sub-7th round, or because there were potential character or legal issues, or because teams felt they had to draft players at different positions because of the way the draft fell, and they thought they could pick him up as UDFA.

Besides, the draft was a few months ago, and teams know more about Boykin now.

dogorama

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1v8zg567 said:
Siouxhawk":1v8zg567 said:
chris98251":1v8zg567 said:
I think you place a bit too much emphasis on drafted vs. undrafted. The draft is a numbers game. Just because a player is undrafted doesn't mean teams don't consider him to as good as someone they drafted. A player might go undrafted because teams evaluated his talent as sub-7th round, or because there were potential character or legal issues, or because teams felt they had to draft players at different positions because of the way the draft fell, and they thought they could pick him up as UDFA.

Just about everything discussed here is pretty speculative at best but that's what we do as fans, no matter how authoritative we try to sound. Whatever we are going to find out about Boykin's ability will have to reveal itself pretty soon, because he will have less and less time on the field going forward. I see RW playing a qtr tonight, a half the next game, and maybe a little more than a half the last game. Does that sound about right?

I think we'll see a lot more tonight.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":23mvo5oa said:
Siouxhawk":23mvo5oa said:
chris98251":23mvo5oa said:

And Im in no way besmirching Tavone. He could turn out to be something special. But dang, we have a spectacular team this year and I'm just more comfortable having an insurance policy like Tarvaris to turn to than putting all our chips on a UDFA rookie if need be in a time if crisis. T-Jack would be cheap, I'm sure the least he could do would be to win at a .500 clip, which might be enough, and he would be plug-and-play. We just don't know enough about Boykin and I'd hate to discover he tanks under pressure, because that could be too late for us. And someone said we could call up Tarvaris after the season has started -- I wouldn't want to chance that as I think another suitor would get him under contract before the season starts. We just have too much riding on this year and I don't want to leave anything to chance.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I've done some thinking about this and yes I believe that Boykin will be our backup this year. While he did well in a couple of series, I don't think he's done enough in preseason - yet - to subplant Wilson as the starter, and the only other choice on our roster is Heaps, who didn't impress.

So if Wilson is the starter and Heaps isn't looking all that great, then I'd say it's a safe bet Boykin is the backup.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Is anybody out there gonna be able to come in and save our season if the worst happens
No , I also get the feeling that pete would be okay giving Boykin playing time and take a lot of plays off his plate like they did for Russ so I see no one else coming in , therefore he essntially can be considered our backup now even if they could find someone at the right cost without giving up picks as Kearly stated. I just don't see it so Lucky him
I only hope Russ never goes down for any amount of time too

JPatera76

Reaction score
Even though he had rookie mistakes tonight he can learn from them and Russ. And after tonights showing from him and AFTER he came back cool, calm, and collect., he showed what I would want to see in my backup.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawxfreak":28hxj8ei said:
Is anybody out there gonna be able to come in and save our season if the worst happens
No , I also get the feeling that pete would be okay giving Boykin playing time and take a lot of plays off his plate like they did for Russ so I see no one else coming in , therefore he essntially can be considered our backup now even if they could find someone at the right cost without giving up picks as Kearly stated. I just don't see it so Lucky him
I only hope Russ never goes down for any amount of time too

Nope. If you are a team with an established starter then good backup can go .500 in a short stretch. If your starter goes down longer than that you're in trouble.

drdiags

Reaction score
I voted "Unsure". The Seahawks have to start growing their own at the QB position but part of me thinks they are going to do some type of 53-man cutdown trade for a veteran back-up QB. They showed guts in making Wilson the starter his rookie season but I think their success has them being a little more cautious as the stakes have gotten higher.

Before, they were just a team trying to find their way. Now they have their core group with a couple Superbowl appearances and play-off tested. Boykin could cost people their jobs if circumstances break the wrong way for them.

I would like to see them take a chance on grooming him, but let's see what Sept brings.