What Are Your Expectations For The 2018 Seahawks?

What Are Your Expectations For The 2018 Seahawks?

• New coaches, new life. The magic returns. 11-5 or better.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I trust Pete and John to continue to deliver a competitive, top 10 team. 10-6 or better.

Votes: 46 37.4%
  • Same ol' same ol'. OL struggles, Russ running for his life. 9-7 at best.

Votes: 41 33.3%
  • Wake up dummies. We are in full blown rebuild mode. 7-9 or worse.

Votes: 21 17.1%

• Total voters

Seymour

Reaction score
12thbrah":2fjbw656 said:
Trust the FO. This teams needs to get younger and hungrier. I find it comedic that fans are flipping out over the fact that JS is doing the same type of GM moves that Belichick does every offseason.

Except you are missing one big point. Pete and John learned the hard way rather than from history by signing Bennett to a 3rd contract just last year.

That ends up costing us another $5M plus in cap this season.

That = a mistake we cannot afford.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete and John are the same team that went into the season with a shaky kicker that everyone knew was going to be a shaky kicker. A kicker that literally cost us a playoff slot, even though he also enabled us to can our ineffective OC.

And some of you believe that a team lacking effectiveness on so many decisions over the past few years, and that OK'd a number of really bad decisions, is suddenly going to start making better decisions? Folly.

Trust me. We have plenty more 'mistakes we cannot afford' coming.

Freeing up money so they can make more bad decisions isn't going to help much.

adeltaY

Reaction score
THE TABS":284wk2sn said:
I voted 9-7. As of right now, I’m skeptical as to if we’re really aware of what needs to be done. Getting rid of proven players that are still playing at a high level just for the sake of saving cap space isn’t smart IMO. You’re creating more problems than you’re solving.

To me, this team does NOT need to rebuild; they need to re-tool. I would keep the defense in tact, and go all in on fixing the offensive line, and by fixing, I mean NOT converting badminton players into linemen, and I mean NOT signing other team’s garbage that can’t play. I mean FIXING this once and for all. We draft a guard that can block Aaron Donald, and find a right tackle that can pass protect. I’m good with Brown, Pocic, and Britt. Hopefully Mike Solari can turn this into a cohesive unit.

It all starts with that unit. Protect RW at all costs. Every other area takes a back seat to that.

Does a guard who can block AD exist?

original poster

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":237zafxm said:
Pete and John are the same team that went into the season with a shaky kicker that everyone knew was going to be a shaky kicker. A kicker that literally cost us a playoff slot, even though he also enabled us to can our ineffective OC.

And some of you believe that a team lacking effectiveness on so many decisions over the past few years, and that OK'd a number of really bad decisions, is suddenly going to start making better decisions? Folly.

Trust me. We have plenty more 'mistakes we cannot afford' coming.

Freeing up money so they can make more bad decisions isn't going to help much.

You're right.

I'm done with the Seahawks, total waste of time. They'll only continue to make awful decision after awful decision.

Trade for Justin Coleman? Puke. Sign Dion Jordan, urgh. Draft Nazair Jones? Appalling.

:sarcasm_off:

RCATES

Reaction score
8-8 would be a stretch imo with the schedule Hawks are looking at in 2018.

adeltaY

Reaction score
THE TABS":2if43bp0 said:
adeltaY":2if43bp0 said:
Does a guard who can block AD exist?

Will Hernandez :2thumbs:

You think so? I saw him destroy Zack Martin and Travis Frederick when they played Dallas. Is Hernandez better than Martin?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
So that is who we are riding on now?

Jones, Coleman and whatshisname?

Jordan is ok in flashes and great as another piece but none of those guys project to be difference makers.

Kind of the point. Removing difference makers and replacing them with so-what guys isn't a tremendous recipe for improvement.

adeltaY

Reaction score
McDougald and especially Coleman were pretty darn good. Naz gave us no reason to think he can't be a long term starter if healthy. Shaq played well most of the year. Carson looked good. They need to play more to prove they're legit, but those are some good looking moves.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
McDougie and Coleman were ...pretty good... but not much better than average.

Were the guys we released today even average?

Is getting rid of great players but, no worries. getting more average players over time a good growth strategy?

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I'm thinking 7-9 as a ceiling, more likely 5-11 to 6-10, Why, you might ask? Full rebuild, as stated, and stiff competition from at very least LA and SF, if not AZ.

Plus, I know it's horrible to think, but Russ is not indestructable. I believe he can win games on his own, but without a solid D, it's not gonna be a playoff season, bank it. That said, my god I hope I am totally wrong in my pessimism. On the brighter side, I have a feeling, this will be one bad season, not a bunch, I think the ship will right quickly.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3s9reem0 said:
With the apparent dismantling of the defense that has begun today and the fact we’ve got almost a totally new coach staff, it’s gonna be rough. If the Cards get a QB and the 49ers have a good offseason, I see the Hawks as the worst team in the division this year.

And the worst part, I see them as not just the worst team of the division, but being significantly worse than the competition. With Russel Wilson being the only gem, the one wildcard, the one tool we are ahead of the division on, but he alone isn't enough.

NINEster

Reaction score
12forlife":zv5s5qi0 said:
chris98251":zv5s5qi0 said:
I need to see the roster before I make a judgement call, how we orchestrate the draft and F.A. period. We could be a 2 - 14 or a 12 - 4 team depending on how well we set things up, well maybe not 2 - 14, 6 - 10 would be my low ball.

.......Which must be done, With the Rams not going anywhere soon, and SF landing Jimmy Monobrow, and lots of cap space & draft capital ........

Don't be jealous of us Italians bro and our powerful eyebrows and long eyelashes.

NINEster

Reaction score
As an outsider my thoughts:

The LOB is not quite what it used to be. Having Sherman move on in 2018 probably improves the team if they can find a suitable replacement.

Bennett is in the same boat as Sherman, and very similar in terms of personality.

Based on what someone else said on this thread, it seems like the Seahawk success was predicated more on player hunger/personality than outright scheme/talent......and youth over experience. And it looked like it ran on overdrive for a few seasons with an inevitable caffeine crash awaiting....

Even if you could bring back the physical bodies of 2013 Sherman/Kam/Thomas, it won't be as big an improvement as you would imagine if they aren't mentally there.

Rebuilding around Wagner seems to make sense. He's the true leader of the defense now.

This season will be telling on Pete Carroll and the coaching staff, because I get the idea that the Seahawks can rejuvenate the roster a bit........but will the message still apply?

adeltaY

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3k4d0d29 said:
McDougie and Coleman were ...pretty good... but not much better than average.

Were the guys we released today even average?

Is getting rid of great players but, no worries. getting more average players over time a good growth strategy?

Coleman was great, BR had him as the #5 slot corner this season. PFF gave him a 81.8, which was 37 overall for CBs. Value wise that's excellent.

If we lose Sherm as well, I'm thinking 8-8 UNLESS the offense dramatically improves and can carry the team. The scheme has to be good and the OL must must must significantly improve too.