What Are Your Expectations For The 2018 Seahawks?

What Are Your Expectations For The 2018 Seahawks?

• New coaches, new life. The magic returns. 11-5 or better.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I trust Pete and John to continue to deliver a competitive, top 10 team. 10-6 or better.

Votes: 46 37.4%
  • Same ol' same ol'. OL struggles, Russ running for his life. 9-7 at best.

Votes: 41 33.3%
  • Wake up dummies. We are in full blown rebuild mode. 7-9 or worse.

Votes: 21 17.1%

• Total voters

Seymour

Reaction score
Right now I don't see much more hope than 9-7 as our ceiling. They have a lot to do still and we have no idea how deep they will cut so this is just a WAG based on past drafts and FA moves.

We really need to see who they cut and who they add to have a reasonable discussion on this topic though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think John and Pete really compromised our cap and 2018 draft last year going for broke with the Brown and Richardson trades.

So IMO that's going to take a year to dig back out of, both with clearing off some veteran salaries, as well as restocking the draft. That combined with how competitive our division has all of a sudden gotten and how many gaping holes we have all over the roster. There isn't a position group that doesn't need help.

This all spells 8-8 to me, or maybe even 7-9 if John can't reload this draft and get our cap under control.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":338nu31w said:
I think John and Pete really compromised our cap and 2018 draft last year going for broke with the Brown and Richardson trades.

So IMO that's going to take a year to dig back out of, both with clearing off some veteran salaries, as well as restocking the draft. That combined with how competitive our division has all of a sudden gotten and how many gaping holes we have all over the roster. There isn't a position group that doesn't need help.

This all spells 8-8 to me, or maybe even 7-9 if John can't reload this draft and get our cap under control.

More than a year. Brown also cost us a 2019 2nd round pick, and Wilson's and Baldwin's cap numbers have been pushed back costing even more $$ down the road.

Pete dug us a deep ass hole, especially when you throw in the Chancellor / Bennett deals he and John did. I don't see him getting us out before he's done here myself.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":w5efxxy0 said:
Sgt. Largent":w5efxxy0 said:

More than a year. Brown also cost us a 2019 2nd round pick, and Wilson's and Baldwin's cap numbers have been pushed back costing even more $$ down the road.

Pete dug us a deep ass hole, and I don't see him getting us out before he's done here myself.

You could be right, but I'll reserve that judgement until I see what we do this off season.

If it's August and we were only able to draft 2-3 good players because John failed at trading one or multiple players to get those picks back AND give us some much needed cap relief to address holes via free agency? Then I'm with you, this could get ugly.

original poster

Reaction score
With what we've endured at LT since Okung left I am honesty amazed people are upset about the trade?

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":3c4gmaop said:
With what we've endured at LT since Okung left I am honesty amazed people are upset about the trade?

Had it worked out last year and elevated the team to a deep run as intended then it may have been worth it. Looking at it now with our current situation and how the team finished it looks pretty bad IMO.

I'm not upset by it though. I want to build an oline something fierce. It was another gamble that came at too high a cost though. They could have had Whitworth and gave up nothing also.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":38z2xdaw said:

I don't like Band Aid fixes.

If we sign Brown to an extension that doesn't make me throw up in my mouth so we can reap that value for the next 3-4 years? Then I like the trade.

But if this is another Richardson give away picks for a guy who's gone, or holding out again this year because we're not giving him the extension he wants? That's a massive failure.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I'm pretty optimistic and the season's quite a ways away, so I put 10 wins. Y'all make great points for us being worse off than that though. We'll see what happens with FA and the draft. The failed JLane physical really cost us in the DB trade. JLane and a 2019 second for DB would have been a solid trade.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I think realistically we could lose 5 games in our own div. Way too early to predict but somewhere around 8-8 sounds right. This is gonna be an off year since we don't have a lot of picks and our cap situation sucks. Gonna be a way different looking team in 2019.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Way too early to say until we see what kind of roster purge this is going to be. Right now I am not expecting more than 8-9 wins.. but that can decrease with a much larger scale rebuild or increase with a softer one (i.e. they address RB, keep Earl and Sherm, etc)

Going to be one interesting offseason.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
8 wins

I assume we have to have the offense learn an entirely new offense?

I expect some small issues associated with that.

I ratcheted my expectations way way down a few year ago though.

Maybe this coming season we will do better.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
A lot more pessimism in this thread than I thought there would be. When you have a solid defense and one of the elite QBs in the NFL you are going to be in the mix, period. 8-8 feels like worst case to me. 10-6/11-5 most likely (always with the disclaimer if the injury bug stays away).

Count me in as one of the members of the "Re-Load" camp not "Rebuild" camp.

I agree there are a lot of unknowns in March. But based on culture alone, this team will be in the mix come December.

massari

Reaction score
I expect they'll get a legit LG and RB through the draft and/or free agency to cure the run game on offense while adding a receiver who's a proven red zone threat (Bryant,Eifert,ASJ,Moncrief ect). A blocking TE would be nice.

On Defense, will they have Bennett, Thomas, a healthy Sherman, McDowell/Richardson, Strong Safety?

Impossible to have expectations at this point.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
original poster":kke1ny46 said:

Did it improve anything on the offense?

original poster

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1zfi3ubn said:
original poster":1zfi3ubn said:

Of course it did.

I cannot believe we are discussing if the Seahawks offense is better off with Duane Brown at LT or Rees Odhiambo (lol).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":iqoxqiby said:
MontanaHawk05":iqoxqiby said:
original poster":iqoxqiby said:

Of course it did.

I cannot believe we are discussing if the Seahawks offense is better off with Duane Brown at LT or Rees Odhiambo (lol).

Better how?

Did we run the ball better after Brown was acquired? Did we protect Russell better? Was our offense better as a whole?

We're honestly asking, cause while I think Brown is a big upgrade, I don't remember the offense being any better, or Russell having more time and not getting hit.

original poster

Reaction score
You'd have to look at some pretty advanced stats but I've come up with this -

The below represents the average time to throw per game for Russ.

Week 1 - 3.2 seconds
Week 2 - 2.6 seconds
Week 3 - 2.91 seconds
Week 4 - 2.94 seconds
Week 5 - 3.08 seconds
Week 6 - BYE
Week 7 - 2.9 seconds
Week 8 - 3.1 seconds
Week 9 - 3.32 seconds
Week 10 - 3.07 seconds
Week 11 - 3.11 seconds
Week 12 - 3.21 seconds
Week 13 - 3.04 seconds
Week 14 - 3.66 seconds
Week 15 - 2.94 seconds
Week 16 -2.99 seconds
Week 17 - 3.07 seconds

Average time to throw before Duane Brown - 2.96 seconds
Average time to throw with Duane Brown - 3.15 seconds

34kb7GO

Edited to add sorry I don't have time to go into rushing improvements (yet) but I will.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":t6b13pt0 said:
original poster":t6b13pt0 said:
MontanaHawk05":t6b13pt0 said:
original poster":t6b13pt0 said:

Of course it did.

Better how?

Did we run the ball better after Brown was acquired? Did we protect Russell better? Was our offense better as a whole?

We're honestly asking, cause while I think Brown is a big upgrade, I don't remember the offense being any better, or Russell having more time and not getting hit.

When you are soaking wet from 4 leaks in a damn and you plug one leak.....you are still going to stay soaking wet from the other 3 leaks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":3843csv8 said:

Week 1 - 3.2 seconds
Week 2 - 2.6 seconds
Week 3 - 2.91 seconds
Week 4 - 2.94 seconds
Week 5 - 3.08 seconds
Week 6 - BYE
Week 7 - 2.9 seconds
Week 8 - 3.1 seconds
Week 9 - 3.32 seconds
Week 10 - 3.07 seconds
Week 11 - 3.11 seconds
Week 12 - 3.21 seconds
Week 13 - 3.04 seconds
Week 14 - 3.66 seconds
Week 15 - 2.94 seconds
Week 16 -2.99 seconds
Week 17 - 3.07 seconds

34kb7GO

Edited to add sorry I don't have time to go into rushing improvements (yet) but I will.

I appreciate the legwork, but a difference of not even 20 tenths of a percent isn't exactly earth shattering.

But Russell was sacked 43 times last year, 16 times before Brown was acquired, and 27 times after. Obviously not all his fault, but that's not exactly the shoring up of the protection we were all led to believe would happen after he arrived.

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3c8iy935 said:
original poster":3c8iy935 said:

Week 1 - 3.2 seconds
Week 2 - 2.6 seconds
Week 3 - 2.91 seconds
Week 4 - 2.94 seconds
Week 5 - 3.08 seconds
Week 6 - BYE
Week 7 - 2.9 seconds
Week 8 - 3.1 seconds
Week 9 - 3.32 seconds
Week 10 - 3.07 seconds
Week 11 - 3.11 seconds
Week 12 - 3.21 seconds
Week 13 - 3.04 seconds
Week 14 - 3.66 seconds
Week 15 - 2.94 seconds
Week 16 -2.99 seconds
Week 17 - 3.07 seconds

34kb7GO

I appreciate the legwork, but a difference of not even 20 tenths of a percent isn't exactly earth shattering.

But Russell was sacked 43 times last year, 16 times before Brown was acquired, and 27 times after. Obviously not all his fault, but that's not exactly the shoring up of the protection we were all led to believe would happen after he arrived.

You've prompted me to really go into this. Give me a day or so and I will start a new post to discuss :2thumbs: