What would it take for you to want Pete fired?

What would it take for you to want Pete fired?

• He won a Super Bowl 7 years ago so I will Never want him fired.

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • I already want him gone

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • A losing record this year

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • No playoff wins this year

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Only 1 playoff win this year

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • No opinion until after next season

Votes: 22 34.9%

• Total voters

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
#3 - Do those 28 other coaches have one of the best QBs in football>? Just curious.

#4 - Did we 'win' the NFC West or just stumble across the finish line when the other teams fell flat? Because it sure looked to me that the 49ers lost a massive amount of depth to injuries and the Rams were being held back by their QB, who they jettisoned over the offseason. (Even still the Rams had us circled on their board because they knew we were an easy win. )

It isn't failing to get a divisional game win that is the problem. Lots of coaches do that.

It is failing to get a divisional game win for almost 8 years when you have had one of the best QBs in football and a reasonably solid roster.

The problem is that firing Pete means you lose the reasonably solid roster....

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":lcy0k92y said:
TreeRon":lcy0k92y said:
Serious question: In 2021 what is the Pete culture?

Culture is guys like Dunlap and Adams wanting to play for Seattle. Make no mistake, players want to play for Seattle because of the culture Pete has built.

Back to the original question, the defense has to be historically bad or bottom-ranked, with no improvement, and no changes made in the offseason. Pete's bread and butter is defense. If he can't deliver a top ranked defense this year, and certain DCs are not let go, then his time is past.

ahh I hate to bust your bubble, Adams was traded he had no choice, and he got paid. Dont think for one minute he does not get a decent contract he stays, in fact they were talking of tagging him. As to, Dunlap let me remind you that before he accepted the offer he checked with Wilson to ensure he was staying. So is it really the want to play for PC or is it they want to get paid and play with a top QB.I don't recall hearing someone say they want to play for PC, I have heard them say they wanted to get paid and play with Wilson. That said I do think PCs high energy, and let them be themselves does help, but I don't think it is the draw you think it is.

sc85sis

Reaction score
hoxrox":y1b0t80j said:
So reverse the question, and ask "What would it take for Pete to be off your perennial hot seat?"

1) SB or bust? Ok then, by that logic, fire 31 coaches
2) NFC Championship? Ok then fire 30 other head coaches
3) Divisional Win? Ok then, fire 28 other head coaches
4) NFC West Championship? We just won the west in arguably the toughest division in football.

This is not really a "what have you done for me lately" question.

But rather a question of - How can fans temper their expectations according to reality?

Furthermore, judging a HC based on an elimination scenario is kind of silly. Say a team goes 17-0, but loses in the playoffs in part due to a QB throwing a pick six, or key starters getting injured? You see, things don't happen in a vacuum. It's the ultimate team game, and context is important here.

As is, Pete is nowhere near the hot seat right now, despite some fans needing a "bad guy" to validate their angst and outlook on things.
I agree with this. I tempered my response a bit because I know I’m biased in Pete’s favor. I love the guy. But I also realize that in the NFL you’re hired to get fired - or retire, if you’re lucky.

I’d like to think the latter will be true for Pete and that we’ll get another Super Bowl win before that happens. But I also know there’s some luck involved in that. The year the Hawks won they were largely injury free. The following year, the D was hobbled going into the game and it got worse during. It’s actually amazing they got so close to winning that one.

sc85sis

Reaction score
John63":brlvr161 said:
hoxrox":brlvr161 said:
TreeRon":brlvr161 said:

Culture is guys like Dunlap and Adams wanting to play for Seattle. Make no mistake, players want to play for Seattle because of the culture Pete has built.

Back to the original question, the defense has to be historically bad or bottom-ranked, with no improvement, and no changes made in the offseason. Pete's bread and butter is defense. If he can't deliver a top ranked defense this year, and certain DCs are not let go, then his time is past.

ahh I hate to bust your bubble, Adams was traded he had no choice, and he got paid. Dont think for one minute he does not get a decent contract he stays, in fact they were talking of tagging him. As to, Dunlap let me remind you that before he accepted the offer he checked with Wilson to ensure he was staying. So is it really the want to play for PC or is it they want to get paid and play with a top QB.I don't recall hearing someone say they want to play for PC, I have heard them say they wanted to get paid and play with Wilson. That said I do think PCs high energy, and let them be themselves does help, but I don't think it is the draw you think it is.
Perhaps, although Adams did say just a couple of months ago that he would “run through a brick wall for him.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... e-carroll/

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
hoxrox":3tzroq4n said:
So reverse the question, and ask "What would it take for Pete to be off your perennial hot seat?"

1) SB or bust? Ok then, by that logic, fire 31 coaches
2) NFC Championship? Ok then fire 30 other head coaches
3) Divisional Win? Ok then, fire 28 other head coaches
4) NFC West Championship? We just won the west in arguably the toughest division in football.

This is not really a "what have you done for me lately" question.

But rather a question of - How can fans temper their expectations according to reality?

Furthermore, judging a HC based on an elimination scenario is kind of silly. Say a team goes 17-0, but loses in the playoffs in part due to a QB throwing a pick six, or key starters getting injured? You see, things don't happen in a vacuum. It's the ultimate team game, and context is important here.

As is, Pete is nowhere near the hot seat right now, despite some fans needing a "bad guy" to validate their angst and outlook on things.

We have THREE playoff wins in SIX years. You are talking about a single year. How many different teams have a divisional wins in the last 6 years? There is no “ what have you done for me lately” but a “what have you done to get us to or close to a Super Bowl in the last SIX years?” People act like anybody wanting post season success is impatient or unrealistic after SIX years are just wrong. Six years of Russell Wilson. And a playoff win against Detroit, a lucky missed FG by Minnesota (should have lost) and an Eagles team without their starting QB which was almost a loss. And NONE of those wins came in the same year. Sigh. We are in the Marty Shottenheimer pattern and I hate it for my hawks.

hoxrox

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1e0j12vw said:
#3 - Do those 28 other coaches have one of the best QBs in football>? Just curious.

#4 - Did we 'win' the NFC West or just stumble across the finish line when the other teams fell flat? Because it sure looked to me that the 49ers lost a massive amount of depth to injuries and the Rams were being held back by their QB, who they jettisoned over the offseason. (Even still the Rams had us circled on their board because they knew we were an easy win. )

It isn't failing to get a divisional game win that is the problem. Lots of coaches do that.

It is failing to get a divisional game win for almost 8 years when you have had one of the best QBs in football and a reasonably solid roster.

The problem is that firing Pete means you lose the reasonably solid roster....

Rodgers is one of the best QBs in the game. They fired McCarthy. In comes a new head coach. They do very well. Rodgers with MVP season, a top o-line everyone clamors for, a top receiver in Adams, good run game support and overall balanced offense.

Yet they still lost in the NFC championship because their defense couldn't stop Brady when it mattered that day. It's the ultimate team game - and success is not contingent on any one player or coach.

KC and Buffalo have great QBs too. But ultimately failed last year. Should their coaches be on the hot seat? By some standards, it would seem so.

Pete doesn't get a free pass until he retires. But up to this point, is a firing warranted? I don't think so.

Just be glad Jim Tomsula is not our HC.

Rat

Reaction score
It would have to be an off the field thing, like expressing racist viewpoints, or extreme political/religious stances and the like. I'd be shocked if it got there. He seems smart enough.

Other than that, I have my questions about Pete, but as long as he has the locker room, I'm ok with him staying in charge.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Hoxrox,

Not sure what point you are making.

The Packers fired McCarthy because he used to be good but then failed to get them deep enough in the playoffs.

Since they fired him they have gone to the NFC championship.

If anything, the success of the Packers w Rodgers since firing McCarthy is an example of why we SHOULD fire Pete.

Are you even reading what you are posting?

Maulbert

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1hncngb9 said:
sc85sis":1hncngb9 said:
At least two losing seasons in a row with no signs of improvement.

The NFL is hard, with more parity now, and fans are spoiled and impatient.

No real disagreements with the position. 3 playoff wins in SIX years is enough for me.

The sheer entitlement in this post is irritating. You've NEVER suffered.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Pete will never be fired, he will retire out! I don't know his contract, but the worst case would be he goes 7-10 over the next 2 years and rather than getting fired, he walks away. But if he keeps double digit wins, he could die out from the HC position.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1huokeoz said:
oldhawkfan":1huokeoz said:
This poll is biased and leans way too much to reasons to have him fired. Even the first answer, which allows a vote to keep him shows that bias in a backhanded way. By reading through the prospective answers to the question, one is left with nothing but excuses to get rid of the BEST COACH IN SEAHAWKS HISTORY!

The question is literally what would it take for you to want him fired. It’s not the Should he be fired poll. It looks like you are the I will NEVER want him fired train. It just an opinion and all will vary.

The get rid of the “7 years ago” part of the first possible answer. That qualifying statement screams anti Carroll bias.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":xpzv9opt said:
JayhawkMike":xpzv9opt said:
oldhawkfan":xpzv9opt said:
This poll is biased and leans way too much to reasons to have him fired. Even the first answer, which allows a vote to keep him shows that bias in a backhanded way. By reading through the prospective answers to the question, one is left with nothing but excuses to get rid of the BEST COACH IN SEAHAWKS HISTORY!

The question is literally what would it take for you to want him fired. It’s not the Should he be fired poll. It looks like you are the I will NEVER want him fired train. It just an opinion and all will vary.

The get rid of the “7 years ago” part of the first possible answer. That qualifying statement screams anti Carroll bias.

I am allowed to be biased about PC. I can love or hate whatever players or coaches or teams I want. “Anti-Carroll bias” :roll: The stupidity of our times.

chris98251

Reaction score
Really we are a victims of our own success, the player contracts due to success shrink the roster of depth.

The winning places us towards the bottom of the draft.

The scheme has been figured out and as a coach it is not adapted quickly, we will see with Waldron, but he is a first time OC and where he may know X's and O's game day play calling is a lot different then just drawing up plays. Situational play calling and recognizing weaknesses to exploit etc all come into play. We will have to see how that plays out, also adding that Wilson is now given almost Peyton Manning ability now to change plays and audible, something he has not done consistently in a game except in 2 minute or hurry up mostly.

We also do not have the insight of college talent level like we did when Pete took over and had a scouting report and almost first hand experience with the college talent across the USA, he is on a level playing field, John isn't finding these diamonds as often in the 5th and 4th rounds and UDFA like he did when we built the team.

Then add in the rule changes to try to take away aggressive and physical defenses, one that really hurts us since the scheme is about intimidation, sacks and pressure, and turnovers.

Then lets look at Front office, Coaches, and Scouting losses and turnover, many teams have pilfered our talent there that was here when we built the team to a Super Bowl contender, Richard moved on, was promoted to DC and many seen the drop off in our CB play, then he moved on to another team, Norton who was a great LB coach is now a DC, WR and D line coaches, Special teams coaches, Salary cap gurus, Scouts and the head of Scouting, lots of pieces.

You can replace the bodies but the magic each had in how they did the little things that made a difference was lost to those aspects of the team. Sometimes you can upgrade granted, but the chemistry and how it all works together isn't the same.

Just a few thoughts on how and why, the fact we are still competitive is amazing really.

Maulbert

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1mpinaa3 said:
oldhawkfan":1mpinaa3 said:
JayhawkMike":1mpinaa3 said:
oldhawkfan":1mpinaa3 said:

I am allowed to be biased about PC. I can love or hate whatever players or coaches or teams I want. “Anti-Carroll bias” :roll: The stupidity of our times.

Yes. But don't think for an instant it makes this clown show of a poll unbiased.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Maulbert":1n2nmlne said:
JayhawkMike":1n2nmlne said:
oldhawkfan":1n2nmlne said:
JayhawkMike":1n2nmlne said:

Yes. But don't think for an instant it makes this clown show of a poll unbiased.

I was the first vote I want him gone. Just curious how others felt. I know there are a percentage that will NEVER want PC gone for any reason. I think many of them prefer the man to the team. No one ever refutes my 3 playoff wins in 6 years posts. There is really nothing to argue about as the six years of post season failure speaks for itself.

I think Chris makes some great points of still having winning seasons despite a lot of external factors against the Seahawks. We have had winning regular seasons. Chris doesn’t talk much about the internal factors that have screwed us over - most of which start and end with PC.

It’s an Opinion. Everyone has one. I may disagree with some but was curious what will Finally cause some of you to want to move on. 3 playoff wins in 7 years? 8? 9? Never?

John63

Reaction score
sc85sis":3d7yxcvo said:
John63":3d7yxcvo said:
hoxrox":3d7yxcvo said:
TreeRon":3d7yxcvo said:

Perhaps, although Adams did say just a couple of months ago that he would “run through a brick wall for him.”

What would you want him to say given he wanted a new contract. Ther is lies another rub given PC has the final say and is all-powerful in the Hawks org, people know they have to play nice to get paid. Granted if he was just the HC not the omni omni he would still have say but he would not be the omni omni.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3pn7j507 said:
oldhawkfan":3pn7j507 said:
JayhawkMike":3pn7j507 said:
oldhawkfan":3pn7j507 said:

You’re not wrong. However, to get as accurate a set of data from a poll, one must try to eliminate as much bias as possible unless the desired results are to generate bias.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
John63":1k1695vy said:
sc85sis":1k1695vy said:
John63":1k1695vy said:
hoxrox":1k1695vy said:

What would you want him to say given he wanted a new contract. Ther is lies another rub given PC has the final say and is all-powerful in the Hawks org, people know they have to play nice to get paid. Granted if he was just the HC not the omni omni he would still have say but he would not be the omni omni.

The fact is, he said it and didn't have to. That's all that matters, right John? Just the "facts"? I thought that's all that you cared about. But when it suits you, you'll happily read more into it.

How convenient.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
flv":3brxqufw said:
Getting rid of a HC is easy. Finding a top 4 HC to replace him is the problem. When the HC you're getting rid of is a top 10 HC it just amplifies the risk.

No it won't, call eric bieniemy. Any coach that comes in after him will be better because his playbook will be better suited to fit 2021 football.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Tinamedina":1zurycdk said:
flv":1zurycdk said:
Getting rid of a HC is easy. Finding a top 4 HC to replace him is the problem. When the HC you're getting rid of is a top 10 HC it just amplifies the risk.

No it won't, call eric bieniemy. Any coach that comes in after him will be better because his playbook will be better suited to fit 2021 football.

Remember when everyone was saying Steve Spagnuolo was going to be a great head coach when his D stifled the '07 Patriots in the Super Bowl?

He went 11-41 as a head coach. No coordinator is a guarantee. Certainly not a top 10 guarantee.