Any Harvin Updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SeaTown81":14a319hm said:
Someone told me that players generally do their concussion tests earlier in the week, usually the day after the game. And that Harvin being tested so late in the week is not a good sign. Add that to the Kirwin comment and Im not as hopeful as I was previously.
The testing protocol is a multi day process that takes til late in the week, no ifs ands or buts.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SeaTown81":3ajeaw6h said:
Someone told me that players generally do their concussion tests earlier in the week, usually the day after the game. And that Harvin being tested so late in the week is not a good sign. Add that to the Kirwin comment and Im not as hopeful as I was previously.

He was tested by the team doctors early in the week, but he also needs to be tested by doctors not affiliated with the Seattle Seahawks, which is why normally you don't hear definitive news on concussion-tested players until Wednesday or Thursday at the earliest.

If we haven't heard by Thursday, then be worried.

But regardless, I'm not expecting him to suit up.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SeaTown81":1cvucyii said:

How do you know he wasn't tested yesterday or on Sunday? I'm legitimately asking, because I haven't heard that.

The tests occur over the course of several days. Even if he showed good signs early, he couldn't be cleared until mid-to-late week based on the protocol.

CortezKennedyfan

Reaction score
lukerguy":2oulhgiv said:
Kirwan (PC friend) said just now on Sirius radio that his hunch is that Harvin won't play this week. Could mean nothing, could mean everything. The fact that he's friends with PC is the only reason of noteworthiness.

Let the moan-fest begin.

This is the perfect way to get the Niners to assume our #1 receiver is NOT playing. Plant a story with someone NOT affiliated with the team.

BRILLIANT PETE, BRILLIANT!

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1br94kxc said:
ImTheScientist":1br94kxc said:
HawkFan72":1br94kxc said:
I'm just assuming he is a no-go. He's had head issues in the past with migraines, and often times the headaches are what keeps players from coming back quickly.

Migraines and concussions are two different things. Zero correlation, not sure how you can even list them in the same sentence. His migraines were a result of sleep apnea...he has fixed this.

Even if you don't believe me.... I have a question for you.

:141847_bnono: How many games has Harvin missed due to migraines in his NFL career? :141847_bnono:

He missed 3 games.

I know they aren't directly connected and that his migraines were not concussion-related. I just meant that he has had head issues in the past and he missed some time because of it. If he naturally has issues in his head that cause pain, his head might be a bit slower to recover from the concussion. That was all I meant. I'm no expert or anything, obviously...just throwing it out there.

I'm assuming he's not playing.

Missed one game. The sleep apnea which was causing his migraines was fixed. He no longer has "head issues".

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Damn, let the ignorance and hand wringing commence. He'll play but the protocols must be followed end of story. You NEVER know if a player passed until Thursday at the EARLIEST.

djb28

Reaction score
I do not know how"brilliant" it is. I am sure the Niners will game plan as if he were playing.

Will I

Reaction score
SeaTown81":2pjebr7k said:

He was tested on Monday. I wouldn't really consider that "late in the week"

Nearpost

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2qq7qin7 said:
Damn, let the ignorance and hand wringing commence. He'll play but the protocols must be followed end of story. You NEVER know if a player passed until Thursday at the EARLIEST.

Surely must be this. High percentage likelyhood of him playing imo.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Harvin's past history of migraines has no direct physiological impact on his ability to recover from a concussion or other head injuries, and the mechanisms for migraines vs other kinds of headaches are distinct. Migraine tests generally occur over a series of days, as symptoms of a concussion can sometimes emerge even after a small period of apparent improvement, which is another reason for the delayed information.

The Radish

Reaction score
As I recall they tested him on Saturday, then an outside physician tested him Sunday and he has to not have strenuous activity like practicing for 2-3 days. They then normally test again on thursday and if he's ok he is allowed to practice friday and play over the weekend.

That's the way I understand it. But with my old brain that might not be totally correct.

:les:

StealthHawk

Reaction score
djb28":2i32cf7d said:
I do not know how"brilliant" it is. I am sure the Niners will game plan as if he were playing.

Unless it says "OUT" on the injury report, you can guarantee they will be preparing for him. Based on his past history with the migraines and all that other stuff, he's going to need to have an absolutely flawless medical report this work to be granted permission to suit up on Sunday. He took some vicious hits against the Aints.

Rocket

Reaction score
The Radish":3lx6wi22 said:
As I recall they tested him on Saturday, then an outside physician tested him Sunday and he has to not have strenuous activity like practicing for 2-3 days. They then normally test again on thursday and if he's ok he is allowed to practice friday and play over the weekend.

That's the way I understand it. But with my old brain that might not be totally correct.

:les:

Your brain ain't that old... you forgot your surgery in Transylvaconda during the storm. I know people who were there.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":25ith4jy said:
ClumsyLurk":25ith4jy said:
Sports Hernia":25ith4jy said:
I'm not a doctor, but I've played one on TV. 8)
[youtube]ZFtyh-5LPxw[/youtube]

That 28 yr. old movie was comedy at its best. Many here on this forum weren't even born yet!

Right up there with Stripes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts