Anybody else feeling uneasy about this game?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Because one CAN do something in a certain situation doesn't mean they SHOULD. Frankly, I think the etymology behind why it's acceptable is only because people think it looks weird due to being a single character. Reason enough, perhaps, but not a very good one in my opinion.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
RolandDeschain":1om65gu9 said:
Because one CAN do something in a certain situation doesn't mean they SHOULD. Frankly, I think the etymology behind why it's acceptable is only because people think it looks weird due to being a single character. Reason enough, perhaps, but not a very good one in my opinion.

Fair enough; as long as you dot your is it doesn't matter.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1lwrecbb said:
RolandDeschain":1lwrecbb said:

Personally, I feel capitalizing individual letters when using them in plural form (Xs and Os) looks better. You capitalize the letter "I" on its own, for example.

seahawks187

Reaction score
For me it's all about the start of the game. I know seattle will set the tone.. defensively.. and once the panthers realize and think "oh shit this is on another level" it's up to them to try and match that intensity.. if they do then it should be a good game.. if they don't they are going to get ran out of the stadium.

Destiny and the car crash and the house fire will be forgot about once they start the game.. none of that stuff will matter. Tired of hearing about that crap.. BLAH BLAH BLAH .. CANT WAIT FOR THIS DAMN GAME TO START

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1zxlpcut said:
Seahawk Sailor":1zxlpcut said:
RolandDeschain":1zxlpcut said:

Personally, I feel capitalizing individual letters when using them in plural form (Xs and Os) looks better. You capitalize the letter "I" on its own, for example.

That is A very good point. Is would look better capitalized.

A

Anonymous

Seahawk Sailor":1d4fy7z1 said:
RolandDeschain":1d4fy7z1 said:
Seahawk Sailor":1d4fy7z1 said:
RolandDeschain":1d4fy7z1 said:

Xes and Oes?

12thbrah

Reaction score
The Hawks D is locked in right now. I would be shocked if they gave up more than 7pts in this game.

The only way the Seahawks lose is if the offense turns the ball over and gives Carolina a short field.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":356ovhj8 said:
Your argument seems to be "different for the sake of being different" in regards to using apostrophes with single characters. The vast majority of the time in the English language, an apostrophe is not used to indicate a plural, but specifically a lack of one. I know you're just trolling me, but do you have any realistic evidence to support your preference on this?

I'm looking for something a little more than "Well, it's not wrong." ;)

hawksmode

Reaction score
sc85sis":2rkcbzid said:
thebigcat":2rkcbzid said:
we should be playing loose as this game is house money, we have no title to defend, no record to defend and no pressure of being at home.... The Panthers team you will be facing is going to be about as loose as a football team you will see, we have nothing to lose, that my friends is a dangerous team to go against.

Your team has the same thing to lose as our team--a chance to play in the NFC Championship game.

EXACTLY

Go ahead and play with the nothing to lose attitude...I mean it just means going to the NFC Championship!

How often does that happen for teams? Go ahead and spoil your chance. But really, the Seahawks will do that for you. :th2thumbs:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
'It is what it is.' With two of the best MLB'S in the league, how does anyone expect total domination from one side? Maybe an outside chance of Colin Cole helping out our offense, but he does have an all pro helping his challenged ass get lined up.

OceanPanther

Reaction score
I'm feeling uneasy about it.. I mean we're ( Panthers ) 11 point dawgs

But ,, it is the NFL,, there are upsets every year,, and I like how I've seen my team play as of late.

"Mount up men,, ride to the sound of the cannon fire ,,,, there's a battle to be fought "

GOOOO PANTHERS

I've enjoyed reading your boards this week.. I'm normally a lurker,, and don't post,, but this thread was addressed to Panther fanz :thirishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's the playoffs, being nervous is natural for any playoff game. But worrying, feeling uneasy?? Nah, waste of energy. Enjoy the ride

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Last time we were a team with a losing record who just happened to upset the world champions, Saints.
This year Carolina is the team with the losing record playing us, the world champs.

Hopefully that has not relevance and i'm sure it doesn't. Just thought I point out the coincidence for fun.

But I am kind of scared for this game. Home field this time is great but i'm not gonna say this will be an easy game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hawks were at HOME in that game. No way they would have won that game at New Orleans. So, it has no relevance.

netskier

Reaction score
Roland and Sailor, I believe that one purpose of grammar is to facilitate the comprehension of the reader by increasing what might be called the "comprehensionability" of the text, i.e., to make the text more reader friendly. Compare xs and os, with Xs and Os, with X's and O's, and measure the comprehension time of all three sets, as a working measure of reader friendliness. From my perspective, of what might be termed "functional grammar", quickness to comprehend measures the goodness of the three grammatical constructions.

shawnsim

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":3ig1xlm0 said:
Last time we were a team with a losing record who just happened to upset the world champions, Saints.
This year Carolina is the team with the losing record playing us, the world champs.

Hopefully that has not relevance and i'm sure it doesn't. Just thought I point out the coincidence for fun.

But I am kind of scared for this game. Home field this time is great but i'm not gonna say this will be an easy game.

I get you.

The Panthers seem like a good team on the cusp of being great. Much like us 3 years ago.

It would be incredible if they beat us the way that we beat the Saints. That would be some ironic history.

I see us winning but; I am not fully comfortable.

/Edited for poor apostrophe use/

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":19we7bcd said:
Seahawk Sailor":19we7bcd said:
Your argument seems to be "different for the sake of being different" in regards to using apostrophes with single characters. The vast majority of the time in the English language, an apostrophe is not used to indicate a plural, but specifically a lack of one. I know you're just trolling me, but do you have any realistic evidence to support your preference on this?

I'm looking for something a little more than "Well, it's not wrong." ;)

I gave you something a little more than "Well, it's not wrong." I gave you the Oxford dictionary, which was obviously not up to your standards as an authority on grammar.

Those cases of pluralization are the rare exception precisely because following the rule would cause confusion.

evergreen

Reaction score
Not uneasey. Not even. We're good enough now, we can even be confident! Seriously we can be confident. In your worst nightmares we match up with these guys. Except, we're better. Everywhere. Except tight end. At least in all the places where it will matter.

Gametime

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":olsabksc said:
Well, I rewatched the Seahawks-Panthers game from earlier this year, and it's left me a lot more optimistic, not that I wasn't before. Rather than get down to x's and o's, or schemes, or anything, I just watched it for missed opportunities. And there were a ton of them.

Now when I say "missed opportunities" I don't mean great plays by the defense. I don't mean settling for a field goal when the opposing defense comes up big. That's just them playing good defense. I'm talking about dropped picks, forced fumbles that bounced the wrong way, dropped touchdown passes, etc.

I did the same thing and concur with everything. There were SO many times either the Hawks just missed or the Panthers got extremely lucky bounces. Re-watching the game made me much more confident. I'm excited about this opportunity for the Hawks. Not nervous in the least.

Great post and breakdown.

Latest posts