Bennett responds directly to trade demand rumor

HawkMeat

Reaction score
he may have some remorse about his current deal. Which most people would be a bit perturbed to see less than players get paid more or similarly. Regardless he took a discount to stay here, and I want him to be here for a long time.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Bennett is an odd fellow. Not surprised he is trying to get more money one year after taking less money to play here. Whatever, he's a great player but doubt they have money available to rework his deal this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkMeat":1op3w981 said:
he may have some remorse about his current deal. Which most people would be a bit perturbed to see less than players get paid more or similarly. Regardless he took a discount to stay here, and I want him to be here for a long time.

As of last year when Bennett signed his new deal he was #15 on the highest paid list

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/201 ... nsive-end/

My guess is after Suh signed his monster deal Bennett might have had some buyer's remorse taking a slight hometown discount. But that's on him and his agent.

btw, check out the list..........

Dockett, cut and new lower deal
Long, restructured
Hardy, cut and much lower deal
Johnson, now with Bengals on a much lower deal

So really Bennett after all this washes out is a top 10 paid D-lineman. Add in the fact that he's 29, and he's getting paid well.

LolaRox

Reaction score
After listening to the podcast I definitely think he went to the team about something, maybe not a trade but there was something.

As far as him stating 'he feels the same way' about Jimmy, it was unnecessary. He might in fact feel the same way, but there is no reason to say it in the media. He could have put this 'soft' simmering pot out instead he fanned the flames and gave the media a headline. Now there will be constant talk about Jimmy's status in locker room and potential conflict. As a leader of this team he could have and should have handled it better.

If you read or hear his comments in entirety it doesn't sound as harsh as the headline but in general people will see the headline and not read further.

“.... I don’t feel as harsh as I did at the time because he’s my teammate now but at the time he was on time opposite team and were pretty good and we battled with him a couple of times and I didn’t really like that too much.”

I understood this a little bit different, I don't think it was directed at Jimmy alone. When I listen it sounds more like this -

but at the time he was on the opposite team and they were pretty good and we battled them a couple times and I didn't really like that team.

kearly

Reaction score
Graham will have to win a few guys over. Considering how beloved he was in the Saints locker room for being a great teammate, I think this will be water under the bridge by the time Graham has his 3rd TD in 3 games.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
LolaRox":3uzhvksf said:
After listening to the podcast I definitely think he went to the team about something, maybe not a trade but there was something.

As far as him stating 'he feels the same way' about Jimmy, it was unnecessary. He might in fact feel the same way, but there is no reason to say it in the media. He could have put this 'soft' simmering pot out instead he fanned the flames and gave the media a headline. Now there will be constant talk about Jimmy's status in locker room and potential conflict. As a leader of this team he could have and should have handled it better.

If you read or hear his comments in entirety it doesn't sound as harsh as the headline but in general people will see the headline and not read further.

“.... I don’t feel as harsh as I did at the time because he’s my teammate now but at the time he was on time opposite team and were pretty good and we battled with him a couple of times and I didn’t really like that too much.”

I understood this a little bit different, I don't think it was directed at Jimmy alone. When I listen it sounds more like this -

but at the time he was on the opposite team and they were pretty good and we battled them a couple times and I didn't really like that team.

Yeah but logic and perspective are hard to come by when all people want to do is reach for the negatives for soap opera drama.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":68nkfyis said:
Graham will have to win a few guys over. Considering how beloved he was in the Saints locker room for being a great teammate, I think this will be water under the bridge by the time Graham has his 3rd TD in 3 games.

Yea, I'd say he'll win them over just playing like he does. He doesn't avoid contact when he has the ball, and he likes running dudes over. He starts scoring and guys will battle for him.

original poster

Reaction score
I think it's poor of Bennett to say to the media what he has.

This is a team and adding any sort of nagative element can really mess things up.

For a 29 year old veteran Id have expected better to be honest, especially as Bennett comes across as such a jokey and fun guy to be around.

netskier

Reaction score
Graham has five years nfl experience, which means three years of active Bountygate experience plus two years of post Bounty hate experience with an unknown coaching philosophy about dangerous playing, so I would not be surprised if were not some grudges remaining.

I wonder what the Seattle injury rates were during these five years.

Whatever the case, I expect the grudges to go away quickly as soon as Graham starts contributing. He should destroy cover zero the moment he plays, the running game improves immediately, and the red zone becomes almost a sure six zone.

Soldiers bond a little in boot camp, but a lot more in combat.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
sc85sis":2yitb2md said:
Jimmy should offer to take teammates up in the air for some aerobatic flying. After they get done puking their guts out, they may decide he's not so soft after all. LOL
I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing!

chris98251

Reaction score
All Jimmy has to do is bring the wood on blocks and the guys will respect him, they look at him as soft and just a prima donna that won't do the dirty work. We will see, but that's how he will gain his place amongst the team, if he goes the other direction it will Harvin all over again, and it won't be pretty if you in a confrontation with Lineman instead of WR's.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
chris98251":2gjua92u said:
All Jimmy has to do is bring the wood on blocks and the guys will respect him, they look at him as soft and just a prima donna that won't do the dirty work. We will see, but that's how he will gain his place amongst the team, if he goes the other direction it will Harvin all over again, and it won't be pretty if you in a confrontation with Lineman instead of WR's.
Exactly. Jimmy has to answer the bell now, or die trying. First practice I want to hear that Jimmy was trying to run guys over, he can't let Bennett be right.

This is a good thing, not a bad thing. Bennett letting Jimmy know he has to block like he means it in Seattle.

morgulon1

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1avljznr said:
theincrediblesok":1avljznr said:
Don't assume everything off of one tweet

[tweet]https://twitter.com/alsup_steve/status/586242833285304322[/tweet]

Telling Graham he needs to be a better teammate...? Yeah this wont end well

I think Bennett was speaking of himself.

netskier

Reaction score
Some blocking effort would be nice but would not be required if he can keep the offense moving in the HEAT against San Diego. Our defense would love him for that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
None of his teammates will be complaining when he's dominating on the field, and putting up a bunch of TD's.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Bennett has no one to blame but himself if he's unhappy with his contract. He signed it and it's only been one year into it. He's a good player but lacks severely in attitude. It's not like he is irreplaceable.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Big non issue, ahhh the off season.

Find me an offensive guy not nicknamed beast mode that our defense doesn't think is soft.......................

These guys dont need to be best friends. As long as RW and JG get along thats all that matters, and even that really doesn't matter. Not everything has to be puppy dogs, rainbows and roses.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
morgulon1":3f51eah1 said:
therealjohncarlson":3f51eah1 said:
theincrediblesok":3f51eah1 said:
Don't assume everything off of one tweet

[tweet]https://twitter.com/alsup_steve/status/586242833285304322[/tweet]

Telling Graham he needs to be a better teammate...? Yeah this wont end well

I think Bennett was speaking of himself.

Yea.. I think I read that wrong now that I look at it in full context. That's the pitfall of twitter. Seriously guys, people aren't mind readers. Make your pronouns clear!