How would you grade today’s offensive play calling?

jeremiah

Reaction score
F, the entire team looked like they were ready for week 4 of preseason. Coaches, and all but about 3 players were asleep at the wheel.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Mick063":22lwkiwy said:
I hate, hate, hate the very predictable handoff to the running back from the shotgun. The "read option" look where Russ tries to fool the defensive end.

It worked when Russell wasn't a walking gold mine, but no one believes the quarterback is going to keep the ball more than once per game anymore. Further, Russ doesn't have the burst that he had five years ago. The defensive end isn't fooled and hedges inside to the running back. Every. Single. Time. In other words, no one is fooled anymore.

The only time it worked, Penny's 21 yard run (most of it from his own personal effort to overcome the fore mentioned disadvantage) was called back because the slow developing play got Ifedi caught holding.

The opposing defensive coordinator only needs to spend about twenty total minutes to prepare for it. Gives them time to prepare for other things instead.

The team cut a good linebacker to keep a fullback. When in the four minute offense. put that fullback in the game, line up in the I formation, and let the lineman play downhill smash mouth football.

The "read option" scheme is officially a dumpster fire.

Nailed it.

Russ is not really a threat on the outside anymore. Even when he does keep it, he usually slogs along for a few yards and then a measly slide.

Time to shelf that as a main staple imo. Its not the play for us that it used to be.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
On a scale of 1-10, probably a -3. Only Russel's and the rest of the offense's talent managed to make it successful at all. Predictable and too easily stopped. :pukeface:

xray

Reaction score
It's a win. Maybe they have a real important coaches meeting tomorrow .

Seymour

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":39edwaiu said:
Seymour":39edwaiu said:
I will go off the charts to a U

RRPete and his 3 and outs = sad football.
RePete as in repete 3 and out.

Close. RRPete for run, run, pass

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1qz2jbqo said:
I give him a C for his playcalling

It was a Bevell-esk performance. Lack of creativity. Some of it was the O line not adjusting and kicking out on those deep play actions, some of it was Wilson holding onto the ball too long. It was an overall weak performance by the entire offense.
Schotty was also very slow to make any adjustments, which was disappointing.

It seriously felt like they were just playing too close to the vest and trying not to lose.
Way too high.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I'd grade it worthy of leaving Schotty at the tarmac. Why can't we also hire an OC who is innovative?

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
CPHawk":2xywcoyj said:
I'd grade it worthy of leaving Schotty at the tarmac. Why can't we also hire an OC who is innovative?

Because it's Pete's ballgame, not the faceless mannequin they plug in at OC.

Optimus25

Reaction score
BubbaGump":1ouvs7gi said:
C-. I’m not in the boat that they were trash today. The secondary played like crap for 3 quarters and hurt the team more than the offense. There are definitely things to work on but when was the last time the Seahawks scored three touchdowns in the season opener? Plus I will give the Bengal defense credit as they gave us fits for most of the game. This was a game where we made more plays then the opposite team. A win against a good team in week 1? I’ll take it and be happy.

Good team? heck, Cincy might not even win 3rd place in their division if Baker figures things out. I'll take any win but that was as ugly as they come and anything above a 'D' grade for Shotty is just pure crazytalk.

Put it this way:

YOU DON'T GUARANTEE 70 MILLION TO A GUY TO HAND THE F&^%$#@ BALL OFF!

Fade

Reaction score
Needs more boots. Needs more quick hitters. Needs more under center runs.

I like that they have decided to pass to the RBs this year. They don't win this game without that emphasis, fumble aside.

Not a great gameplan. It was very lazy and was a disservice to the players on the field.

bandiger

Reaction score
CPHawk":1llotbw9 said:

Its Pete ball, he favors the run and limit turnovers to max. Doesn't really matter who the OC is at this point. The Oline being crap is the worrying part.

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":15ms7zab said:
Needs more boots. Needs more quick hitters. Needs more under center runs.

I like that they have decided to pass to the RBs this year. They don't win this game without that emphasis, fumble aside.

Not a great gameplan. It was very lazy and was a disservice to the players on the field.

It was also a disservice to the paying fans to watch more 3 and out ball against a bad team.

John63

Reaction score
My grade....F the Fiest F of all Fss

OP
OP
dopeboy206

dopeboy206

Reaction score
CPHawk":1svlhb79 said:
We had one, his name was Darrell Bevell. I didn’t like Bevell as OC as much as the next guy but one thing he was good at was being innovative and creative. Sometimes he tries to be too cute and hurt us and his situational play calling was trash late in games but he’s a lot better than Brian Schottenheimer I’ll tell u that.

Oh and Bevell is with the Lions now. How did Stafford do today? Last I checked he was playing pretty good. I know it was against Arizona but that’s no excuse cause we just played the bengals at home and barely beat a Cincinnati team that was projected to be one of the worst teams in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I’m honestly surprised people who have been watching football for this long, are convinced the Bengals will be bad this year. If anything, they’re an unknown.

The protection from the O-line was absolutely atrocious today. So yea Schotty deserves crap, but our O-line was a wide open door. Vannett, Brown, Ifedi, all of them got abused.

Wilson may not have the burst anymore, but the idea that his legs are no longer a factor is silly. He’s still fast enough to make some 5-20 yard runs. In fact, we SAW Wilson make a 20 yard run before Jennings ruined it in preseason. So the read option will remain effective, and every team that plays us GAME PLANS to keep Wilson from scrambling or running

IndyHawk

Reaction score
dopeboy206":xe87y6ii said:
I think only way Russ can play to his max potential and show he's worth that 30 million is we get a new OC if not he’s just going to be a glorified game manager. Schemes and play calling is important when it comes to the success of QBs and Schotennheimer doesn't compliment him. He makes RBs look good not QBs. He has got to go.

I get what you want but maybe that is all RW ever was and is.

John63

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3p8926tk said:
CPHawk":3p8926tk said:
We had one, his name was Darrell Bevell. I didn’t like Bevell as OC as much as the next guy but one thing he was good at was being innovative and creative. Sometimes he tries to be too cute and hurt us and his situational play calling was trash late in games but he’s a lot better than Brian Schottenheimer I’ll tell u that.

Oh and Bevell is with the Lions now. How did Stafford do today? Last I checked he was playing pretty good. I know it was against Arizona but that’s no excuse cause we just played the bengals at home and barely beat a Cincinnati team that was projected to be one of the worst teams in the league.

Makes one wonder was it bevel or PC

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2lxeb2a9 said:
dopeboy206":2lxeb2a9 said:
I think only way Russ can play to his max potential and show he's worth that 30 million is we get a new OC if not he’s just going to be a glorified game manager. Schemes and play calling is important when it comes to the success of QBs and Schotennheimer doesn't compliment him. He makes RBs look good not QBs. He has got to go.

I get what you want but maybe that is all RW ever was and is.

Except the FACTS clearly show other wise. Game managers dont do what he has done. Game managers dont account for over 90% of a team's tds and over 80% of his teams yards. Wilson is the only player to ever do it in NFL history. Game managers dont lead the league in TD passes, or is #2 in career QB rating. Game managers are not amongst the top 5 fastest to 200 tds in nfl history. So the answer is FACTUALLY no he is not just a game manager.

Latest posts