How would you grade today’s offensive play calling?

JustTheTip

Reaction score
jlwaters1":wdusfl7m said:
New year same arguments..
The OL was getting manhandled today.
The offense sucked for most of the day.. I wish Tyler could have caught that ball, would have been an easier win.
I'm just happy were 1-0, but to be honest that should have been called an incomplete pass imo. Dalton's arm was moving forward.

Completely agree on the incomplete pass. That being said, the neutral zone infraction on 3rd and long should have been a false start and the pass interference should have been a no call on the Bengal's last scoring drive so plenty of bad officiating to go around.

As far as play calling obviously F. I wish somebody would take the offensive side of the ball (strategy, OC hiring, all of it) away from Pete at the very least. I still think we are a few years past it being time for him to retire.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
John63":3fwk8mgj said:
dopeboy206":3fwk8mgj said:
CPHawk":3fwk8mgj said:
I'd grade it worthy of leaving Schotty at the tarmac. Why can't we also hire an OC who is innovative?
We had one, his name was Darrell Bevell. I didn’t like Bevell as OC as much as the next guy but one thing he was good at was being innovative and creative. Sometimes he tries to be too cute and hurt us and his situational play calling was trash late in games but he’s a lot better than Brian Schottenheimer I’ll tell u that.

Oh and Bevell is with the Lions now. How did Stafford do today? Last I checked he was playing pretty good. I know it was against Arizona but that’s no excuse cause we just played the bengals at home and barely beat a Cincinnati team that was projected to be one of the worst teams in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes one wonder was it bevel or PC

Yes.

Fade

Reaction score
Next week playing the Steelers, Pete will unleash Wilson and he will have a monster game.

The agression of the offense is predicated on the opponent. They didnt take the Bengals serious, their gameplan reflected that.

Pete thought against the Bengals all he needed was to run the ball, and take a couple deep play action shots and the game would be over. He knows he is going to need more than that against the Steelers.

Gibbo

Reaction score
All I can grade it is: Weird.

Thank god we won.

HawkerD

Reaction score
JustTheTip":fsrmuwjn said:
jlwaters1":fsrmuwjn said:
New year same arguments..
The OL was getting manhandled today.
The offense sucked for most of the day.. I wish Tyler could have caught that ball, would have been an easier win.
I'm just happy were 1-0, but to be honest that should have been called an incomplete pass imo. Dalton's arm was moving forward.

Completely agree on the incomplete pass. That being said, the neutral zone infraction on 3rd and long should have been a false start and the pass interference should have been a no call on the Bengal's last scoring drive so plenty of bad officiating to go around.

Clowny flinched but never went into the NZ. What a bullshit bail out call.

edogg23

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1mf8j32m said:
I give him a C for his playcalling

It was a Bevell-esk performance. Lack of creativity. Some of it was the O line not adjusting and kicking out on those deep play actions, some of it was Wilson holding onto the ball too long. It was an overall weak performance by the entire offense.
Schotty was also very slow to make any adjustments, which was disappointing.

It seriously felt like they were just playing too close to the vest and trying not to lose.
Funny you say that. I was half expecting to see Bevell on the sideline, the play calling was that bad. Thankfully we scored when we actually made it to the red zone.

TreeRon

Reaction score
IMO, it was more on the vaunted "best in the NFL" O-line. They coudn't pass block nor could they run block. At least not what I expected based on the comments by Brown et al.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1c26ajtx said:
dopeboy206":1c26ajtx said:
I think only way Russ can play to his max potential and show he's worth that 30 million is we get a new OC if not he’s just going to be a glorified game manager. Schemes and play calling is important when it comes to the success of QBs and Schotennheimer doesn't compliment him. He makes RBs look good not QBs. He has got to go.

I get what you want but maybe that is all RW ever was and is.

LOL. It's uncanny, like you guys don't actually watch the game and know what a game manager actually is.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2qv2qjkl said:
I’m honestly surprised people who have been watching football for this long, are convinced the Bengals will be bad this year. If anything, they’re an unknown.

The protection from the O-line was absolutely atrocious today. So yea Schotty deserves crap, but our O-line was a wide open door. Vannett, Brown, Ifedi, all of them got abused.

Wilson may not have the burst anymore, but the idea that his legs are no longer a factor is silly. He’s still fast enough to make some 5-20 yard runs. In fact, we SAW Wilson make a 20 yard run before Jennings ruined it in preseason. So the read option will remain effective, and every team that plays us GAME PLANS to keep Wilson from scrambling or running

So they 'game plan' to keep Wilson from running even tho it is point blank evident on the tv screen that russ can keep at least 1/5 RO handoffs for a decent gain? and THEY game plan to the point that WE do few boots and roll outs to get Russ mobile early and often?

I just don't see any 'game plans' killing us except for our own. If the protection is atrocious, adjust. Running into a brick wall over and over, like last year's playoffs, will just bring to life the definition of insanity.

The low/mid 20 something ppg Seahawks will not win anymore. Even Dalton with the big numbers was still 'Dalton' and missed a few key throws. Any other premier team takes this game easily from us. We have to target 28-30 a game minimum with this defense, and we looked every bit the part of a 21 point production/game team today.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
John63":1ad7rew1 said:
IndyHawk":1ad7rew1 said:
dopeboy206":1ad7rew1 said:
I think only way Russ can play to his max potential and show he's worth that 30 million is we get a new OC if not he’s just going to be a glorified game manager. Schemes and play calling is important when it comes to the success of QBs and Schotennheimer doesn't compliment him. He makes RBs look good not QBs. He has got to go.

Except the FACTS clearly show other wise. Game managers dont do what he has done. Game managers dont account for over 90% of a team's tds and over 80% of his teams yards. Wilson is the only player to ever do it in NFL history. Game managers dont lead the league in TD passes, or is #2 in career QB rating. Game managers are not amongst the top 5 fastest to 200 tds in nfl history. So the answer is FACTUALLY no he is not just a game manager.

Don't bother. Some people take genuine pride in trolling. No interest in supporting their opinions with substance, just feelings

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Optimus25":2qhftjg1 said:
Scorpion05":2qhftjg1 said:
I’m honestly surprised people who have been watching football for this long, are convinced the Bengals will be bad this year. If anything, they’re an unknown.

The protection from the O-line was absolutely atrocious today. So yea Schotty deserves crap, but our O-line was a wide open door. Vannett, Brown, Ifedi, all of them got abused.

Wilson may not have the burst anymore, but the idea that his legs are no longer a factor is silly. He’s still fast enough to make some 5-20 yard runs. In fact, we SAW Wilson make a 20 yard run before Jennings ruined it in preseason. So the read option will remain effective, and every team that plays us GAME PLANS to keep Wilson from scrambling or running

So they 'game plan' to keep Wilson from running even tho it is point blank evident on the tv screen that russ can keep at least 1/5 RO handoffs for a decent gain? and THEY game plan to the point that WE do few boots and roll outs to get Russ mobile early and often?

I just don't see any 'game plans' killing us except for our own. If the protection is atrocious, adjust. Running into a brick wall over and over, like last year's playoffs, will just bring to life the definition of insanity.

The low/mid 20 something ppg Seahawks will not win anymore. Even Dalton with the big numbers was still 'Dalton' and missed a few key throws. Any other premier team takes this game easily from us. We have to target 28-30 a game minimum with this defense, and we looked every bit the part of a 21 point production/game team today.

Yes.

Literally in almost every game, Wilson has a spy. Teams still have to defend the run, and read options are split second decisions.

In literally every press conference, the defensive teams say "we need to contain Wilson." Our gameplan also acknowledges that effort and attempts to punish that perception by keeping Wilson in the pocket. Even if we don't always succeed at it

Wilson usually opts to run more in the 4th quarter, and possibly in the 1st, because he likes to conserve energy throughout the game. Idk if you are aware of Pete ball, but the whole "It's how you finish" mindset is an actual thing. We believe in rope a dope then knock outs at the end. Russ conserves his legs, especially as he ages, for when the defense is tired by the 4th quarter. I mean, we've seen this consistently for this entire era and especially for the last 2-3 years.

doctorsubie

Reaction score
You all know what? If the Hawks don't pick up 3 or so yards on 1st down, it might as well be a 3 and out...

Take a sack or a hold on 1st down? 3 and out...

It's mind boggling how, in this era of modern football where getting 4 to 6 yds on a simple quick pass play is the norm, that we're still playing 1970s smash mouth to grind out 2 yds on 1st down (if we're lucky).

Whatever we were doing on defense, using Kendricks as our 'nickel' and foregoing a traditional DB, I hope we don't use again.

TBH, we're lucky our defense wasn't more gassed or someone get hurt from all the reps they were doing...

Call me a pessimist, but every other team in the modern NFL seems to be doing this "quick pass" play calling; I hope we make some serious adjustments...

doctorsubie

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2n7oojrn said:
John63":2n7oojrn said:
IndyHawk":2n7oojrn said:
dopeboy206":2n7oojrn said:

Except the FACTS clearly show other wise. Game managers dont do what he has done. Game managers dont account for over 90% of a team's tds and over 80% of his teams yards. Wilson is the only player to ever do it in NFL history. Game managers dont lead the league in TD passes, or is #2 in career QB rating. Game managers are not amongst the top 5 fastest to 200 tds in nfl history. So the answer is FACTUALLY no he is not just a game manager.

Don't bother. Some people take genuine pride in trolling. No interest in supporting their opinions with substance, just feelings

I kind of agree--I wouldn't undervalue Wilson, but I certainly wouldn't have paid him the most $ in the league... he should be top 5, don't get me wrong, but not #1...

Smellyman

Reaction score
It's what you get when you hire a D level ̶s̶t̶u̶d̶e̶n̶t̶ offensive coordinator

ttown0026

Reaction score
Does anyone else think it's strange how few of times Russ keeps the ball on the read option? It seems like almost every time he keeps it he gets positive yards, but yet he still hands it off most of the time.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I mostly agree with Fade in that a large factor was us playing down to the opponent. That can even make sense at times if you're 100% sure that your defense can stop them; reducing risk as the favorite increasing your probability of winning.

Of course that comes back to bite us occasionally when the defense doesn't hold and then with the benefit of hindsight we wish we had been more aggressive. It is sort of amusing that whenever the defense gives up more than we were expecting the .NET topic immediately gravitates towards offensive aggressiveness.

One other factor to consider was OL health. Duane Brown was limited in practice going into the game, Iupati did not play, and then Britt went down early and then came back in the next series to play through the pain. I couldn't tell from my section but plan on watching the all-22s this week to see where the OL struggles were coming from. It's plausible to me at this point that our OL could play a lot better in future weeks, and the offense is designed with vertical routes that we need a minimum competency of OL play to protect while they develop.

kf3339

Reaction score
xray":a8qu5de4 said:
xray":a8qu5de4 said:
Coaching is huge for success ; and today showed that coaching almost lost this game . I still think that Carroll has too much offensive input...and that being said his defense didn't look that good either . IMO

let's let Wilson the go ahead to change any damn play at anytime ..must be frustrating for him .

I said this same thing two years ago when Bevell was our so called OC. It was true then as well.

RW at this point in his career should be making multiple play call changes at the line, or just changing the plays he knows don't work in the huddle. We are paying him far too much just to watch this nonsense during the game. Won't happen of course, but he should.

John63

Reaction score
doctorsubie":2aakwf9y said:
Scorpion05":2aakwf9y said:
John63":2aakwf9y said:
IndyHawk":2aakwf9y said:

I kind of agree--I wouldn't undervalue Wilson, but I certainly wouldn't have paid him the most $ in the league... he should be top 5, don't get me wrong, but not #1...

Dont worry in the next year he will not even be top 5.

Also for this year by:
cap hit he is #4
Total cash he is #3
By avg salary during life of contract he is #1 but again by this time next year he will not
By guaranteed money he is #3

So to say he is #1 is true but only avgt salalry and that will only last 1 year.

nanomoz

Reaction score
C-. The O-line played horribly for 65% of the game. Glad they got that out their system.

Latest posts