Offensive Line?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
="OffseasonChampions"]Free agency isn't even 4 days old and people are already worrying. We should just hand the Lombardi Trophy to the Broncos, they "Won" the first 48 hours of Free Agency.[/quote]
:13:

OP
OP
akseahawkfan

akseahawkfan

Reaction score
So far I get. 1) Yes the OL needs to improve. 2) Our young guys could/should step up 3) Not a lot of great OL in FA 4) A deep OL Draft will probably produce studs other teams don't suspect.

Thanks. I knew I could count on you all to set me straight.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":398qxb7c said:
onanygivensunday":398qxb7c said:
I did the math... our backups took 33% of the total snaps during the regular season... that's a lot.
Our O-line just seems to be snake-bitten, we have multiple injuries to the O-line every single year going back like eight years. I think we just need to accept the fact that we need to have more quality backups than usual, lol.

Personnel-wise, doesn't look too bad to me. I do agree that the line struggled at times and improved play whether it's current rostered guys or new players would be helpful toward the goal of a rePETE.

This is the current list of lineman on the roster at .com I've taken a stab at listing them in a order of how I think they might stack up in terms of who might be on the bottom of the list competing for a job. I think the first 5 could be the starters next season and I would be happy to see that group working to become a cohesive and improving unit. (Maybe I'm off and Carpenter is locked into a Guard spot and it's Bowie and Bailey competing for a starting gig.)

Lem was just re-signed and obviously valuable. Isn't McQuistan an UFA at this point?

They signed the Hauptmann kid from Cleveland this season when our lineman had injuries and they needed bodies. Do they see potential in him? Jared Smith was another Sweezy-type project. But, unlike Sweezy, he didn't get playing time his rookie season. Van Roten they just signed (was with Green Bay last year.)

Yeah, the Hawks are probably looking add some healthy competition to this group.

Do the backups play primarily due to injuries or does Cable rotate guys a bit on purpose? I would think continuity and keeping a starting unit together on the field would be more beneficial.

76 Okung, Russell T 6-5 310 26 4 Oklahoma State
60 Unger, Max C 6-5 305 27 5 Oregon
73 Bowie, Michael G/T 6-4 332 22 R Oklahoma State
78 Bailey, Alvin G/T 6-3 320 22 R Arkansas
64 Sweezy, J.R. G 6-5 298 24 2 North Carolina State
61 Jeanpierre, Lemuel G/C 6-3 301 26 4 South Carolina
77 Carpenter, James G 6-5 321 24 3 Alabama
67 McQuistan, Paul G/T 6-6 315 30 8 Weber State
74 Hauptmann, Caylin OT 6-3 300 22 R Florida International
66 Smith, Jared G 6-4 302 23 R New Hampshire
Van Roten, Greg G 6-3 303 24 3 Pennsylvania

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I'm not bothered that the Hawks haven't gone out and overpaid for an OL, i would rather they not overpay ANYONE.

I am only concerned that they will be relying too much on whatever Linemen we draft in April. We definitely need to add some bodies, but how likely are we to draft someone that will either start for us this year or provide better depth than we had last year?

I really don't think we can afford to take a step back when it comes to OL, so we need to replace Breno just to get to where we were before, but I think we need to set our sights higher than simply being bottom 3rd in the NFL.

Remember folks, this is largely about protecting Wilson. It would be an absolute travesty for the Hawks to finally get a franchise QB and then lose him to injuries because we didn't bother to put together an OL.

Seafan

Reaction score
I don't see a problem here. If protecting Wilson is #1 then they haven't done anything wrong. Their weakest pass protector was allowed to leave for a big raise. Replacing that will be easy and A LOT cheaper. Depth isn't too bad with Lem, Bailey and Bowie. They have a couple options at RT but the final solution may wait until May.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2sj3l9e4 said:
Remember the name 'Joel Bitonio'.
The perfect pick at #32, he will step in and be cheaper long teem solution at RT for much less. We can keep grooming Bailey and Bowie for depth at OT/OG. Bitono will almost certainly be there at 32 he is projected a mid to late 2nd round guy but JS will pull the trigger early to get his man. Then at #64 we can hope one of the big WR'S make it. If we re-sign Rice I think we could wait until the 4th and get a WR maybe Street, Janis, or if we are lucky Bryant or Coleman might have slipped.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Wenhawk":32zevmt3 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":32zevmt3 said:
The perfect pick at #32, he will step in and be cheaper long teem solution at RT for much less. We can keep grooming Bailey and Bowie for depth at OT/OG. Bitono will almost certainly be there at 32 he is projected a mid to late 2nd round guy but JS will pull the trigger early to get his man. Then at #64 we can hope one of the big WR'S make it. If we re-sign Rice I think we could wait until the 4th and get a WR maybe Street, Janis, or if we are lucky Bryant or Coleman might have slipped.

So he's gonna come in and instantly be better than Bailey or Bowie even though he hasn't had a single NFL snap? Bailey and Bowie actually acquitted themselves well for the amount of PT they received. Too many people on this board are ready to dismiss both of them as mere depth at best because of their late-round status. I have a strong feeling that Cable disagrees.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
McGruff":2ztut02r said:
Good, deep draft at OL, and good potnetial for Bowie and Bailey. Plus our guys generally don't like to sign old players.
This.

The answer for the OL might just be already on the roster

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":ipp0q4oh said:
Wenhawk":ipp0q4oh said:
theENGLISHseahawk":ipp0q4oh said:

So he's gonna come in and instantly be better than Bailey or Bowie even though he hasn't had a single NFL snap? Bailey and Bowie actually acquitted themselves well for the amount of PT they received. Too many people on this board are ready to dismiss both of them as mere depth at best because of their late-round status. I have a strong feeling that Cable disagrees.
Plenty of rookies come and in and produce more than veterans