******Rumor .........make of it what you will***************

kidhawk

Reaction score
Agents talk to teams before free agency begins all the time, but as far as this rumor goes, I wouldn't put my heart into it being true. These things pop up this time of the year each and every off season, and 99% of the time they turn out to be nothing more than someone's hopeful speculation. Even if they have a verbal agreement and the sources sources source believes it to be so, nothing would keep the player's agent from taking that deal to other teams to negotiate a better offer.

As always with this time of year, I will read these things and smile, because it doesn't hurt to dream big, but all the while, not believing a word of anything until it's official

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
This is at least plausible given Suh's openness about his wish to play for Seattle. We will see though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3tg6n9dp said:
Could mean the end of Mebane though, right? And if Mebane is gone does that still afford cap space for Maxwell?

They could maybe offer Mebane another year to restructure at a lower amount. But he's already 30 so probably not the best idea to give a 30 year old coming off an injury another year or two.

As far as Maxwell goes, he's rumored to get anywhere from 7M to 12M a year, depending on how many team's are hot and heavy after him. Which for a #1 or #2 CB with his skills? A LOT OF TEAMS.

So cutting Mebane would only get you halfway to Maxwell.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Or it could be that Suh's agent is seeking leverage with leaks. Wouldn't be the first time that has occurred.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Barthawk":o1gig5ss said:
It is fun to to think of it as a possibility.. 5 years ago we were used as leverage, no we are the loaded team that can land Prime FAs at a bargain price.

Its not a bargain deal per say 13.75 apy is only a little less than the 13.9apy G McCoy got. And his deal had relatively little signing bonus.

If true a deal like this means more guaranteed money overall probably like 60-70% of the contract.

pehawk

Reaction score
Barthawk":9kdmyltm said:
It is fun to to think of it as a possibility.. 5 years ago we were used as leverage, no we are the loaded team that can land Prime FAs at a bargain price.

The CBA has made the NFL FA market more about "recruiting" than ever before. Thankfully that market dynamic coincides with Pete's tenure.

Otherwise, eek, Seattle?

Holmgren's Hawks we're used as pure leverage. Shannon Sharpe being the one I remember the most.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3b5frpqo said:
Uncle Si":3b5frpqo said:
Could mean the end of Mebane though, right? And if Mebane is gone does that still afford cap space for Maxwell?

They could maybe offer Mebane another year to restructure at a lower amount. But he's already 30 so probably not the best idea to give a 30 year old coming off an injury another year or two.

As far as Maxwell goes, he's rumored to get anywhere from 7M to 12M a year, depending on how many team's are hot and heavy after him. Which for a #1 or #2 CB with his skills? A LOT OF TEAMS.

So cutting Mebane would only get you halfway to Maxwell.

Maxwell- 12M a year for a guy with 17-18 career starts? He has stayed healthy for entire season just once in his 4 years in the NFL.

If he gets that much cash, good for him, but he won't sniff 7M per from Seattle IMO. Mebane will be a cut or restructure IMO. He is due 5.5m next season.

pehawk

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":qou6gn7q said:
We also have Hill coming back, correct?

And Marsh, Scruggs, Serena, draft pick and a coached up Staten.

pehawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":ylhifbo9 said:
Here's hoping it turns out to be accurate. I won't hold my breath over it, though.

I speak for the community when I say; I wish you did hold your breath for an extended amount of time.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Really doubt it just so I don't get my hopes up, but I would be very happy to be wrong.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":1nhcegxz said:
I'd rather have Lynch than Suh, if the money is pulled from the same pot.

Elaborate?

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
pehawk":2q091we7 said:
Our Man in Chicago":2q091we7 said:
We also have Hill coming back, correct?

And Marsh, Scruggs, Serena, draft pick and a coached up Staten.

^ Why I'm not catching about Suh Fever. He's better than those men, for sure, but (issues aside) we'd have to cede starters in other (less deep) positions. Not worth it.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":246fhwaf said:
marko358":246fhwaf said:
Aren't there tampering rules in place for this sort of stuff? I couldn't imagine the Hawks talking to him and risking all sorts of fines and penalties such as losing draft picks.

This stuff goes on all the time. Why do you think that at 1 minute after free agency, we see guys getting signed. This stuff probably get's done through unofficial channels. it happens in hockey free agency all the time.

Just to clarify.

If this were proved true, this would likely result in us forfeiting a high draft choice, likely #31. Tampering is a serious violation and it's historically been a situation where the penalty is severe.

Also, the reason you see guys getting signed 1 minute after 4pm, is because there is an open 3 day window preceding the new league year that NFL clubs can legitimately enter into negotiations with agents. They are still excluded from contacting the players directly. But deals can be finalized in that three day period. They just can't be signed.

In this case, March 7th to March 10th at 3:59pm. The new league year begins at 4pm EST.

Chawks1

Reaction score
No way this is true. Schneider would have to sign off on it and I guarantee you he has NOT made contact with Suh as tampering rules strictly forbid this.

March 7-10: Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2014 contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 10. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 10.

File this rumor along with all the Jared Allen done deal rumors from last year.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm all aboard the Suh bandwagon.

he's dirty but I have a feeling he would clean up some of that stuff playing at 'home' and for Pete. it's obvious Detroit has been dysfunctional in the past and while I think the new regime there is cleaning things up, I'm not sure Suh can flip the switch without a new start. I don't want to see a guy in a Hawks uniform stomping on prone players, but his up-side at a position of need is too great. He commands double teams and would add several sacks to Bennett and Avril's resume.