******Rumor .........make of it what you will***************

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Barthawk":23d28mz3 said:
Sgt. Largent":23d28mz3 said:
Uncle Si":23d28mz3 said:
Could mean the end of Mebane though, right? And if Mebane is gone does that still afford cap space for Maxwell?

They could maybe offer Mebane another year to restructure at a lower amount. But he's already 30 so probably not the best idea to give a 30 year old coming off an injury another year or two.

As far as Maxwell goes, he's rumored to get anywhere from 7M to 12M a year, depending on how many team's are hot and heavy after him. Which for a #1 or #2 CB with his skills? A LOT OF TEAMS.

So cutting Mebane would only get you halfway to Maxwell.

Maxwell- 12M a year for a guy with 17-18 career starts? He has stayed healthy for entire season just once in his 4 years in the NFL.

If he gets that much cash, good for him, but he won't sniff 7M per from Seattle IMO. Mebane will be a cut or restructure IMO. He is due 5.5m next season.

This is what we all said about Tate last year, no one's gonna give him more than 4-5M a year!

The NFL is about supply and demand, and right now the demand is for tall rangy physical DB's that can press cover. So I have no doubt someone will overpay Maxwell.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Uncle Si":25cxb4oh said:
Our Man in Chicago":25cxb4oh said:
I'd rather have Lynch than Suh, if the money is pulled from the same pot.

Elaborate?

If it's an issue of giving Lynch what he wants or ponying up for Suh, it's a finite pool of money we're drawing from. Not to mention Wilson and Wagner. I can't see us giving Lynch a new 1-year contract and signing Suh and extending RW and BW. There's only so much money to go around.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":vmtqd9mj said:
Uncle Si":vmtqd9mj said:
Our Man in Chicago":vmtqd9mj said:

Elaborate?

If it's an issue of giving Lynch what he wants or ponying up for Suh, it's a finite pool of money we're drawing from. Not to mention Wilson and Wagner. I can't see us giving Lynch a new 1-year contract and signing Suh and extending RW and BW. There's only so much money to go around.

No, I understand that..

but why Lynch for 1-2 more years over a player like Suh for potentially 4? That's my question.

Rat

Reaction score
I'd have to see the guaranteed money, but that seems like a pretty awful deal from Suh's perspective. You don't see many superstar players take THAT much less than they could get.

I hope it's true, though. Game changer for the rest of the NFL.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22ud4xwa said:
Our Man in Chicago":22ud4xwa said:
Uncle Si":22ud4xwa said:
Our Man in Chicago":22ud4xwa said:

Elaborate?

No, I understand that..

but why Lynch for 1-2 more years over a player like Suh for potentially 4? That's my question.

Lynch is simply more important to his side of the ball. He's a singular player. Suh is a luxury that, for all we know, might be only playing a portion of those four years due to well-exhibited mental issues. I'm not opposed to this luxury, but if it's an either-or matter...

Barthawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":mf16n27s said:
Ace_Rimmer":mf16n27s said:
marko358":mf16n27s said:
Aren't there tampering rules in place for this sort of stuff? I couldn't imagine the Hawks talking to him and risking all sorts of fines and penalties such as losing draft picks.

This stuff goes on all the time. Why do you think that at 1 minute after free agency, we see guys getting signed. This stuff probably get's done through unofficial channels. it happens in hockey free agency all the time.

Just to clarify.

If this were proved true, this would likely result in us forfeiting a high draft choice, likely #31. Tampering is a serious violation and it's historically been a situation where the penalty is severe.

Also, the reason you see guys getting signed 1 minute after 4pm, is because there is an open 3 day window preceding the new league year that NFL clubs can legitimately enter into negotiations with agents. They are still excluded from contacting the players directly. But deals can be finalized in that three day period. They just can't be signed.

In this case, March 7th to March 10th at 3:59pm. The new league year begins at 4pm EST.

There are many ways to get your offer known to players/agents.. NFL Players cannot be held liable for tampering especially when players share the same agent.. said player employed by the Seahawks may have inadvertently overheard rumblings about what their team could pay a certain player... For example, Richard Sherman and Suh share the same agent, Jimmy Sexton.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":2b0fg0qe said:
Uncle Si":2b0fg0qe said:
Our Man in Chicago":2b0fg0qe said:

Elaborate?

If the rumored deal is at all accurate they can make up the money for Suh almost entirely with contracts off the D-line already.

Mebane 5.5m
Williams 2.1m
Mcdaniel 3.5m

That's about 11M right there

So in that sense you wouldn't be taking any money from any other position groups, it would all just be the same money you're already spending there moved around. Of course that's not exact but it's the basic concept that could make things work without hurting us anywhere else.

Mick063

Reaction score
I can't see this happening. Suh's price is going to go up. Suh's agent will talk fiscal sense to him and Seattle isn't going to mortgage the future. Further, Suh is not happening after the Harvin debacle. Losing quality depth for one controversial player is a big gamble.

You mortgage the future when you have a declining all star quarterback and/or a short term window of opportunity. Seattle is in neither of those positions.

morgulon1

Reaction score
kidhawk":3de0311g said:
Agents talk to teams before free agency begins all the time, but as far as this rumor goes, I wouldn't put my heart into it being true. These things pop up this time of the year each and every off season, and 99% of the time they turn out to be nothing more than someone's hopeful speculation. Even if they have a verbal agreement and the sources sources source believes it to be so, nothing would keep the player's agent from taking that deal to other teams to negotiate a better offer.

As always with this time of year, I will read these things and smile, because it doesn't hurt to dream big, but all the while, not believing a word of anything until it's official

Unless the player WANTS to go to a particular team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DJrmb":160b35kj said:
If the rumored deal is at all accurate they can make up the money for Suh almost entirely with contracts off the D-line already.

Mebane 5.5m
Williams 2.1m
Mcdaniel 3.5m

So in that sense you wouldn't be taking any money from any other position groups, it would all just be the same money you're already spending there moved around. Of course that's not exact but it's the basic concept that could make things work without hurting us anywhere else.

IMO it'd be CRAZY to cut all three of these guys, that'd leave us with zero depth........and as we found out in the NFC Championship game and SB, not having interior line depth is bad, very bad.

We gotta keep at least one of these guys, if not two.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":59utrm3z said:
Our Man in Chicago":59utrm3z said:
Uncle Si":59utrm3z said:
Our Man in Chicago":59utrm3z said:

Elaborate?

Mebane 5.5m
Williams 2.1m
Mcdaniel 3.5m

Including Williams probably doesn't help. The projected available cap space is based on the players under contract. Williams is not under contract next year--he signed a 1-year deal--so including his 2.1m doesn't free up any money under the cap.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1oswm6dt said:
DJrmb":1oswm6dt said:

Mebane 5.5m
Williams 2.1m
Mcdaniel 3.5m

IMO it'd be CRAZY to cut all three of these guys, that'd leave us with zero depth........and as we found out in the NFC Championship game and SB, not having interior line depth is bad, very bad.

Williams is a FA next month. We would need to resign him to keep him anyway. McDaniel and Mebane both have one year left on their deals. D-Line is in transition right now regardless of this rumor being true or not.

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
Trust me guys, I'm not holding my breath over it either. But damn I want it to happen!

When a guy like Suh states that he wants to play for your team, you damn sure make every effort to make it happen.

As for the tampering part, it's naïve to think negotiations aren't going on behind the scenes right now. Maybe not JS himself, but through agents and assistants, etc, they could have a deal agreed upon in principle, and only needing to work out the fine details.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3na0pm7a said:
DJrmb":3na0pm7a said:

Mebane 5.5m
Williams 2.1m
Mcdaniel 3.5m

Williams was on a 1 year deal and is already a Free Agent.

Mebane may not be ready for the start of the season

And McDaniel had a pretty lackluster season compared to the previous year, we even started playing guys out of position (Tukuafu) and off the street (Dobbs) over him more and more as the year went on... I don't think McDaniel is very much depth anymore. I'd rather bring Williams back again for less than keep McDaniel at 3.5m

At least two of these guys was likely gone already (Williams and McDaniel). If you upgraded Mebane to Suh then that depth just comes from the mass of draft picks that you have and a cheaper veteran. The benefit of Suh though is that he doesn't have to come out on passing downs so you need one less rotational DT.

I'm not saying it's a perfect scenario but it makes it plausible without damaging the team.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":28rdmjg5 said:
Sgt. Largent":28rdmjg5 said:
DJrmb":28rdmjg5 said:

Mebane 5.5m
Williams 2.1m
Mcdaniel 3.5m

And McDaniel had a pretty lackluster season compared to the previous year, we even started playing guys out of position (Tukuafu) and off the street (Dobbs) over him more and more as the year went on... I don't think McDaniel is very much depth anymore. I'd rather bring Williams back again for less than keep McDaniel at 3.5m

At least two of these guys was likely gone already (Williams and McDaniel). If you upgraded Mebane to Suh then that depth just comes from the mass of draft picks that you have and a cheaper veteran. The benefit of Suh though is that he doesn't have to come out on passing downs so you need one less rotational DT.

I'm not saying it's a perfect scenario but it makes it plausible without damaging the team.

Which is why you shouldn't be including Williams as a savings against the cap this year because he's not counting against our available space.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
If true that's freaking awesome. :0190l:

I like coming to this site because you don't get a lot of sanctimonious bandwagon fans who don't want him because he played dirty a few times.

Barthawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":2azbh69f said:
Sgt. Largent":2azbh69f said:
DJrmb":2azbh69f said:

Mebane 5.5m
Williams 2.1m
Mcdaniel 3.5m

McDaniel had a lackluster season? What metrics are you using to come to this conclusion? That Tukuafu and Dobbs played in a rotational basis like our DL has done for the past 3 years? The defense was #1 in the NFL for the 2nd straight year and did not see much of a drop-off until the SB when Avril, Lane, and other injuries took their toll on the LOB.

I think the DL did a pretty damn good job considering that Hill/Mebane both left the rotation and minus the KC game, we shut the run down completely the rest of the season.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Seanhawk":32dqhdxc said:
DJrmb":32dqhdxc said:
Sgt. Largent":32dqhdxc said:
DJrmb":32dqhdxc said:

Mebane 5.5m
Williams 2.1m
Mcdaniel 3.5m

Which is why you shouldn't be including Williams as a savings against the cap this year because he's not counting against our available space.

I'm not counting him against the cap. Nor am I really even talking about the cap at all...

The point is you've got position Groups that you're spending a certain amount on year to year (which teams usually try to keep those pots of money pretty much the same year to year). So then you could basically spend the same amount on the Position Group... See what I mean? Just because Williams is a free agent doesn't mean they were going to take that 2.1m and move it to another group. They most likely would use that money to sign other DLineman or bring back Williams.