9er fans bailing in droves.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ I agree that I have high doubts that Kaepernick turns that corner, but the post I commented on said "you either have it or not". It was a general statement. I simply disagree with that and think QBs can make great strides in this area as they study hard for years, get experience and work through their routines.

Doesn't mean I believe Kaepernick will figure it out

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":2ys8p8rs said:
rideaducati":2ys8p8rs said:
Marvin49":2ys8p8rs said:
If you are really looking for positive Kap news, this is a good start.

http://media.957thegame.com/a/103605724 ... eid=886596

Grain of salt, the guy has something to gain from Kap being good this year since he's been coaching him the last few months, but guy seems pretty convinced.

I bet this Dennis Gile guy will be more super surprised than I am when we get to see Kaepernick play again. His "scientifical" approach is great, but teaching someone to move from his first read to his second read after determining that the first read isn't open all while being chased by 300 pound linemen isn't something that can be taught. You either have it or you don't and Kaepernick don't.

Even if he can't make it to his second read but manages to improve on his accuracy, Santa Clara will benefit. His 2013 season was pretty good imo. He just missed too often.

If anyone figures out how to fix his footwork and crazy throwing motion, I'd imagine that he'd see some noticeable results. A lot of the criticism of his accuracy that I saw, was primarily based on his footwork and being "lazy" about it.

He also seemed to struggle quite a bit more last year when that o-line was functioning more like Seattle's. Makes you appreciate what Russell does. My memory of 2012 and 2013 is him standing back there all day with plenty of time to find a target and get rid of the ball. 2014 was very different and he struggled to get the ball out (and avoid pressure).

Any of you Niner fans feel free to correct me about 2014 but that was my impression.

They ran a ton of play action and had speed WRs/TEs in 2012. Every year, for some reason they ran less and less play action. It was working...no idea why they got away from it but its one reason why Roman is no longer the OC and by extension Harbaugh no longer the HC. That's also quite a bit of what York was talking about when he said "returning to our core". Peeps all over the internet jumped on it as if he was saying he wanted to get back to what they ran before Harbaugh and what he meant was 2012.

The last two years they tried more and more to become a passing team. The OC wasn't equipped for that and frankly neither was Kaepernick.

Seattle has been using a TON of play action (I believe the led the league). Its like the Niners, Seattle, and Washington were on a similar course (just speaking about offensive playcalling) and Washington got their guy killed, SF tried to become something they weren't, and Seattle just kept truckin' along.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":36v9g7w8 said:
mikeak":36v9g7w8 said:
rideaducati":36v9g7w8 said:
Marvin49":36v9g7w8 said:
If you are really looking for positive Kap news, this is a good start.

http://media.957thegame.com/a/103605724 ... eid=886596

Grain of salt, the guy has something to gain from Kap being good this year since he's been coaching him the last few months, but guy seems pretty convinced.

I bet this Dennis Gile guy will be more super surprised than I am when we get to see Kaepernick play again. His "scientifical" approach is great, but teaching someone to move from his first read to his second read after determining that the first read isn't open all while being chased by 300 pound linemen isn't something that can be taught. You either have it or you don't and Kaepernick don't.

Partial disagree.

Every player that has been in the league for a few years talks about the game slowing down. If a player studies the games and learn to anticipates things that he sees in the defense before and after the snap combined with a better understanding of what he should and shouldn't do with the football then they can most definately improve in going through their reads.

Furthermore if you improve your mechanics and run drills over and over and over again then you can start to change your basic learning.

Look at someone like Tiger Woods who has changed his way of driving the golf ball multiple times - it can most definately be done.

Not saying Kaepernick will have it or have done it but to say that you "either have it or you don't" is an oversimplification IMHO

I'll just believe it when I see it. I think he'll have trouble this season because he will have to learn a new offense while working on his new mechanics too. I think that by the time Kaepernick "gets it", the niners will have moved on from him which will further stunt his growth because he will then go to yet another offensive system. I think if Kaepernick is ever going to be good, it will be several years and a couple teams down the road.

Should be noted...

...the "new" offense that he'll have to learn won't be an astronomical shift with new terminology, etc.

Geep Chryst was the QB coach for the past several years so much of the offense from a terminology standpoint will remain the same...but I'd expect playcalls to much more resemble 2012 than 2013 or 2014. Steve Logan (new QB coach) has spoken about how it won't be a complete rebuild, but more of a retool of the offense in place.

BTW, I posted the link because Alice mentioned wanting something positive to tell the kid about Kap, not to start the Kap debate all over again. I think most of us know where everyone stands on the topic. :D

Latest posts