Grade the FO thus far addressing offensive line woes

What grade do you give the FO thus far in addressing the offensive line woes?

• A

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • B

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • C

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • D

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • F

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm not hating on your posts or ideas, I just think that the reality is that we are a lot worse than you think we are. We had guards literally whiffing 330 lb d-tackles multiple times per game. We had tackles that were beyond horrible. They need to show MASSIVE improvement to get to bad. Joeckel could very well be a downgrade to Sowell. We are placing a lot of hope in Oday Aboushi.

original poster

Reaction score
There's no denying that they do need massive improvement, last year was awful.

But with the additions added through agency, another year together, another year of doing what they do and add a potential talent in the draft and I struggle not to see an upside.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":k0tv8uok said:
Seymour":k0tv8uok said:
Good god, I'm not going to get into debating stat creds thanx. They follow Cable everywhere, his QB's get pressured and sacked even in Oakland and everyone knows this. Turn a game on and throw the stats out the window then. Cable and Bevell both have a job for 2 reasons. 1) Russell Wilson 2) Marshawn Lynch. Now the warts show when either is less than 100% or gone in Lynch's case.

Anyway, believe as you will.

I'm pretty sure Josh McDaniels still has a job because of Tom Brady, too.

Disagree. That team can win with or without Brady, and has proven so. Take away years of the league leader in YAContact with Lynch, and Cable's colors come through. Take away Wilson and his great escapes, and both Cable and Bevell are looking for work.

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":wojx1q3g said:
original poster":wojx1q3g said:
I don't believe for a second Joeckel is our planned long term LT. PC himself said Fant would benefit taking a year on the bench behind a starter to learn and grow, I'd bet a lot of money he is our plan A future LT for 2018 onwards, even if he doesn't get to where the FO want him to be, we can either rinse and repeat or have a stab at resigning Joeckel.

A lot of people aren't taking into consideration the fact that our guys will be another year experienced, rookies become second year players which, historically, is a big jump in this league. We have a new found leader in Justin Britt (did not think I'd ever say that...), you can guarantee he is pushing these guys this off season.

I can very easily see a middle of the pack o-line this upcoming season, if not better. As with most cases, it all boils down to injuries. Exciting times ahead!
I would lay dough on the Browns to win the Super Bowl before I would bet this group could be the #15 line in 2017.

I'd put my house on it! Cable has yet to reach that level his entire career. Why would anyone think this is magically going to happen now after the moves we made, and the piss poor oline draft this year presents? I would be thrilled with a #20-25 oline given the history with Cable here.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":238va8yu said:
scutterhawk":238va8yu said:
.....It all comes down to "We The Fans" Second Guessing Tom Cable's OPINION.
He did field a couple of Super Bowl worthy O-Lines...Yes he did have Marshawn Lynch to help his cause, but now without "THE BEAST", he has to start back at square one.....Will Eddy Lacey reinvigorate things?, None Of Us Can Know For Certain....Tis neither Positive nor negative speculations.

True. Cable did manage to take the highest paid oline in the NFL in 2013 to his career best 20th ranked line. :2thumbs:

So he does have that going for the other team.

What "Other Team"?
With >>>>>>>a HEALTHY Marshawn Lynch<<<<<<<, and a Scrambling Russell Wilson the RUN BLOCKING = 9th in '2013' = Good enough to WIN IT ALL, and but for ONE bad play-call, WIN 2 CONSECUTIVE Super Bowls.
In the Header, the OP stipulated "THUS FAR", and all I'm reading, is a lot of quitters, trying their best to justify their NEGATIVITY, and attempt to put down the opposition for trying to offer up some Positive sway.
Gotta be "Debbie Downer" or two, or three, or MORE, in every discussion.
It's bad enough to have Trollers coming in here and peeing all over the feel-good campfire, but to have some of our own home grown doing it too? :pukeface:

Tical21

Reaction score
original poster":22qdyl6k said:
There's no denying that they do need massive improvement, last year was awful.

But with the additions added through agency, another year together, another year of doing what they do and add a potential talent in the draft and I struggle not to see an upside.
I see upside too, but Ifedi and Fant are so dang raw, I think their learning curves will be longer.

I thought long and hard about whether or not i thought it best to keep our band together. In the end, I decided we just can't risk another year like we had last year, which is what it looks like we are about to do. I'm terrified.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I want to see the line keep the improvement and continuity we witnessed from the interior. Glowinski-Britt-Ifedi were starting to play pretty well as a unit. Keeping Ifedi & Glowinski at the same spots would be a tremendous benefit.

But we need tackles. Can Joekel solidly the LT position? If Fant is better, can Joekel play RT (as he did as a rookie). If not, who else can lockdown RT? Gilliam has not improved enough. Fant is too inexperienced to bounce around. Then there is the possibility to draft Garret Bolles or Cam Robinson, and we may need to be aggressive to do so.

hawk45

Reaction score
AgentDib":1lsri6qw said:
There are a couple of advantages to ranting about the offensive line. First, it shows that you are a Knowledgeable sort of fan who understands that games are won in the trenches and everything else is fluff for the masses who don't know any better. Second, pass protection is expected to never fail and thus you have instant confirmation of your biases any time somebody from the opposing team manages to create pressure.

Additionally, finding things to criticize about a good team demonstrates that you have Very High Standards. This helps set you apart from lesser fans who don't understand that a great team would win the Superbowl every single year. Salary cap constraints, injuries, and randomness are just excuses used by fans of teams who are not great.

Luckily, the Seahawks are a good team with an offensive line that under performed last year so there is low hanging fruit on both accounts for a Knowledgeable fan with Very High Standards.

There are a couple advantages to creating strawmen. First, you get to frame opposing viewpoints any way you like, leaving easily-exploited gaps.

Additionally, when you then take down said strawmen, you can puff your chest out as the Smartest Man in the Room, who has a monopoly on pointing out facile arguments coming from others.

Luckily, fans of all sports teams are on a spectrum, so you will always find someone somewhere whose arguments do actually resemble your strawman, so there will always be cover for avoiding discussion or criticism that is indeed well-founded for the Smartest Man in the Room.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawk45":2g88tcej said:
HawkGA":2g88tcej said:
hawk45":2g88tcej said:
The OL FA scene may have been stupid, but nobody, NOBODY was lining up to pay Joeckel 7.

That's generally true of any player that signs with any team. The reason they sign with them is because that team is offering more money than everybody else. Or to put it in your words, NOBODY else was lining up to pay that much.

The point,which you deliberately missed, was that they could have had Joeckel for half as much because 7 mil for an awful LT coming off a knee injury was dumb-dumb money. As in what-the-f dumb, negotiating against yourself money.

They paid 7 for a guy who couldn't crack the Jacksonville starting LT spot and who was injured. That isn't market, that is
a beyond F move.

If they had doubled their offer to Lang or lit the money on fire for warmth they'd be less laughable.

Russell Okung is the highest paid OT in the league. Get out of here by saying we could have signed Joeckel for 3-4M.

I swear Seahawk fans live in a vacuum. The best FA tackle was a 35 year old. It's not like 5 Walter Jones are kicking it in FA waiting to sign for peanuts. The FO has at least made an effort to improve the line, now it's up to Cable to get something together. That's the guy I'm more concerned about.