Poll: Do you want SF or NO to win this week?

Poll: Do you want SF or NO to win this week?

• SF

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • NO

Votes: 81 77.9%

• Total voters

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Yikes. I guess people hate the 49ers so much that they would rather see them lose than GET THE BLEEPING #1 SEED.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
There's a lot of football to be played before the difference between the #1 seed and the #2 seed means anything. Much less football to be played before the difference between division champs and division non-champs means something.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Outside of a tie, I am begrudgingly rooting for the 49ers to beat the Saints because that would give us a better chance to have a shot for the #1 seed and winning the division (assuming we keep taking care of business).

We want the NFC to have to go through us to get to the Super Bowl. A Saints loss in that context is better for us than a 49ers loss.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":31lasuvz said:
Yikes. I guess people hate the 49ers so much that they would rather see them lose than GET THE BLEEPING #1 SEED.

No I think the people hoping for a NO win are following logic rather than emotion.

There are statistically far more scenarios where a SF loss helps us and only one statistically unlikely scenario where a NO loss helps us.

Even if we have an 80% shot of winning every game (and it's probably closer to 60%), we are only 41% likely to do it. 59% more likely to go anywhere from 0-4 to 3-1. If you even more realistic and say the odds of us beating the Rams is about 60%, 80% for Cards and CAR and 50% for SF, that's a 20% likelihood of finishing 4-0.

We fuss when Pete doesn't use analytics to go for it on 4th and 1 and yet here we are with people ignoring statistical realities to determine cheering decisions.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I just want the bye. If my options are guaranteed nfc championship game in New Orleans vs. the field, gimme that road game all day long.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It isn't clear that the #1 seed will be better than the #2. It all depends on whether the 3 seed or the 6 seed wins the wildcard game.

It is clear that the bye matters.

I'll be happy with either team losing, happiest with a tie. A NO win comes with a higher probability of the important bye.

My final answer is Geaux Saints. I think.

Elemas

Reaction score
A win win but...I'd like to see SF win. Let the Hawks take care of business from there.

This isn't the type of season, at least in this conf and division, where the top seeds are going to be all ponied up by Week 15 or 16.

CANADIAN_HAWK

Reaction score
New Orleans. Get the division first. I also think New Orleans loses to Tennessee.

pmedic920

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2ojj55h2 said:

You still have to win your division to be the BLEEPING #1 SEED.

until the division is LOCKED UP, we want the 49ers to lose.

It’s not a matter of “hate” imho, it’s common sense.

not saying other opinions aren’t valid, this is my opinion.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CANADIAN_HAWK":1nw29buf said:
New Orleans. Get the division first. I also think New Orleans loses to Tennessee.
Possible.....road game for NO, outdoors and on grass. If Tenn can control the game running the ball they have a shot.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
John Clayton thinks the Seahawks need to focus on winning the NFC West more than earning the NFC’s No. 1 seed. Danny O’Neil feels the same way, saying that Seahawks’ fans should root for the Saints to beat the 49ers on Sunday in New Orleans.

With all due respect – toward the Professor anyway – they’re both wrong. If I’m a 12, I’m pulling for the 49ers. I’m dusting off my Richard Sherman jersey and hoping he gets a pick 6. I’m hoping Jimmy Garoppolo outplays Drew Brees, and the 49ers beat the Saints.

I understand the importance of winning the NFC West. It assures you of at least one playoff game at CenturyLink Field. It prevents you from being a wild-card team and having to win three straight road games to go to the Super Bowl. But even if you win the NFC West and don’t secure the No. 1 seed, it likely requires you to play the NFC Championship Game on the road against a slightly superior team based on regular-season record.

The Seahawks need to shoot for the No. 1 NFC seed above all else. The three times they’ve made it to the Super Bowl, they were a No. 1 seed. To have their best shot at being a No. 1 seed this year, they need the Saints to lose to the Niners.

As you know, all three teams have 10-2 records. The Seahawks hold the tiebreaker over the 49ers because they beat them in overtime, but they lost to the Saints in Seattle. So for the Seahawks to get the No. 1 seed, they need to finish with a better record than the Saints.

Of the three teams, the Saints have the easiest schedule after they play the 49ers, hosting Indianapolis in a Monday night game before traveling to Tennessee and Carolina. Certainly they could lose two or three of those games, but I’m guessing they’ll be favored in all of them. So it would help to get a loss from them now.

As far as the NFC West race goes, it’s conceivable the 49ers and Seahawks could both finish 13-3 if San Francisco wins the regular-season finale Dec. 29 in Seattle. If that happens, it might go to the fifth tiebreaker to determine the division champion. They could still be tied after the first four tiebreakers: 1) head-to-head record; 2) best win-loss percentage within the division; 3) best win-loss percentage against the same opponents; and 4) best win-loss percentage in conference games.

The fifth tiebreaker is strength of victory – best combined win-loss percentage of different teams that a club has defeated. As O’Neil laid out Wednesday during “Danny and Gallant,” the two teams that San Francisco has played that Seattle hasn’t are Washington (3-9) and Green Bay (9-3). The two teams that Seattle has played that San Francisco hasn’t are Philadelphia (5-7) and Minnesota (8-4).

Added up, the 49ers and Seahawks would still be tied since the combined records of those opponents are 12-12. So, oddly, if you think it will come down to this tiebreaker, you might as well root for the Eagles and Vikings to win out while hoping the Redskins and Packers lose out.

But forget about all of that and simply pull for the Saints so none of the tiebreaker stuff matters. If you’re still not convinced, what about this? Five of the last six Super Bowl champions have been No. 1 seeds. Last year the Patriots won as a No. 2, but before then, a No. 2 seed had not won the Lombardi Trophy since 2008. Also, by my research at least, only five No. 2 seeds have won it all this century, and the only NFC No. 2 to do it was Tampa Bay in 2002.

So if you think history has anything to do with this, call your buddies and invite them over for the 10 a.m. game between the Niners and the Saints on Sunday. Then practice sarcastically saying “Who Dat?” while hoping the 49ers roll past the Saints.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/732089/m ... or-saints/?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":3h6h2uwz said:
The fifth tiebreaker is strength of victory – best combined win-loss percentage of different teams that a club has defeated. As O’Neil laid out Wednesday during “Danny and Gallant,” the two teams that San Francisco has played that Seattle hasn’t are Washington (3-9) and Green Bay (9-3). The two teams that Seattle has played that San Francisco hasn’t are Philadelphia (5-7) and Minnesota (8-4).

Added up, the 49ers and Seahawks would still be tied since the combined records of those opponents are 12-12.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/732089/m ... or-saints/?

8+5=13 where I grew up.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I'd take Danny and The Professors take on things over Jim Moore's. That just seals the deal for me. Go Saints.

Jim Moore is playing the "lottery ticket for my retirement" game vs. playing the odds. Just like many of you.

The Seahawks not losing any of 3 division games over the next 4 weeks is a statistical unlikelihood. It may happen but it's not likely.

I think as soon as Sunday night we will be wishing the Saints had beat the Niners.

justafan

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2ozkdgng said:
BirdsCommaAngry":2ozkdgng said:

No I think the people hoping for a NO win are following logic rather than emotion.

There are statistically far more scenarios where a SF loss helps us and only one statistically unlikely scenario where a NO loss helps us.

Even if we have an 80% shot of winning every game (and it's probably closer to 60%), we are only 41% likely to do it. 59% more likely to go anywhere from 0-4 to 3-1. If you even more realistic and say the odds of us beating the Rams is about 60%, 80% for Cards and CAR and 50% for SF, that's a 20% likelihood of finishing 4-0.

We fuss when Pete doesn't use analytics to go for it on 4th and 1 and yet here we are with people ignoring statistical realities to determine cheering decisions.

Well put. It wouldnt surprise to drop any one of our remaining games. It also wouldnt surprise me if Niners win out if they beat NO.

We can beat NO on the road but I dont like our chances to win 3 straight on the road if we dont get a bye. We would be playing the next 7 weeks at or near playoff intensity football to get to the SB

December doesnt play out like we expect so any loss by the Niners is a good loss. I will root againt the Saints next week

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think if we are going to go as far as cheer for NO to lose this week, we should go all in on cheering for the best case scenario:
1) SEA wins its next 3 games
2) SF loses to NO and LAR
3) NO beats SF and loses to TEN

That gives us a 2 game cushion in the NFC West, the number 1 seed in our control and a potential opportunity to rest some starters if SF has nothing to play for and is resting their guys. If we are all in, let's really be all in on destiny.

IronSaint

Reaction score
I mean, I'm a bit biased but I guess I'll follow the majority here. :lol:

It's definitely going to be a hard fought game though, they're a formidable squad and we're both a little banged up so we'll see where the chips fall.

Hawksfan78":yak93aw8 said:
How about a tie???

That could really screw y'all though in regards to winning the division.

Say us and the 49ers tie, they beat the Falcons and Rams, and they lose to y'all in Week 17. That'd put them at 12-3-1

Y'all would then HAVE to finish with 13 wins (which is still very likely) to win the NFC West since that tie they have counts as a half-win. Y'all would essentially be giving away the head-to-head tie breaker y'all hold with them (even though y'all swept them in this hypothetical) if us and them were to tie because y'all would then have to finish with more wins than they do.

It'd also complicate things for the #1 seed as if we were to win our last 3 after tying with San Francisco, we'd end up 13-2-1. We already have the tiebreaker with y'all but it wouldn't be needed since we'd have essentially 13.5 wins. In that scenario, y'all would have to win out for the #1 seed at 14 wins.

If us and the 49ers tie, then y'all have to hope we drop at least one additional game (which is possible considering our schedule has 2 teams fighting each other for a playoff berth and a pesky divisional rival on the road) to finish 12-3-1 and y'all only have the cushion to lose 1 game.

Latest posts